Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mitsibushiman

Migrating to siemens

9 posts in this topic

Evening gents! After a few years working solely on mitsubishi controllers I am now encountering more and more siemens controllers. Does anyone have some sample S5 and S7-3/400 programs they can post to allow me to get up to speed with them ASAP!. I have downloaded some sample S7-200 but would really like to see some more complex S7-3/400 programs and an S5. Also any S5 pdfs or programming manuals would be handy!. They seem to br quite rare. Many Thanks

I have a lot of S5 manuals in .pdf form, let me know what you need, I may be able to help. I also have a a .pdf of an S5 programming book by Hans Berger, which although heavy going is very useful if you are using 135U and 155U on complex systems. Mike

Thanks for your reply Mike, I have PM'd you!.

Once you have got the up to speed on your new Siemens project, how's about posting your opinions/thoughts about pros and cons versus your experience with Mitsu. Personally I have never been a fan of Siemens but have to admit it has been a few years since I used them.

Bits N Bytes I will do that, when I get the chance. I did do some siemens many moons ago. I hoping it comes back to me. STEP 5 is seriously showing it's age. At the moment I currently like the Omron CX programmer software. I find the most intuitive of all the current brands I use. which are GX IEC, GX Dev, RSlogix, Step5, Step 7 Pro, Telemec PL7, CX-Programmer.

Could't agree more. CX Programmer ROCKS!

Hey guys, BITS N BYTES, I do not care for Siemens either. I just started using Seimens step 7 in January, but it does not seem to be as user friendly as some others. I have used the CX Programmer a little and it seems to be OK (way better than Step 7), but the Control Logix is my favorite and seems hard to beat.

I've gone the other way, after years of working mainly with Siemens, but quite often other brands, such as Modicon, for the last year been working wholly Control Logix. I can honestly say, AB Sucks.. sure does. Never used Omron and only once, 10+ years ago, Mitsi, so cannot comment. But control logix is nowhere near as good as its often made out. All the different versions you have to have licenses for, all the different programs you need to run, you cannot download to a running PLC, cannot compare an on-line project (for older versions cannot compare full stop), cannot go on-line where there are program differences, DeviceNet (enough said), keepers!!!!, there's more but I won't go on. I think if so many people didn't go on so much about how great it was it wouldn't have been such a disappointment. Edited by Groo

Seems I've possibly started a "brand war" here!, :-p. Well, here's my view so far.....Siemens step 7, yes it's pernicity, but now that I'm getting into the swing of it, I find it's pretty sweet. I'm finding a lot of similarities between software now too, previously I did tons of work with mitsi's GX IEC (which I have to say I LOVE apart from the annoying upload download and code generation...for those unaware, in IEC if you don't have an identical copy of the program you're working on saved on your HDD you can only download STL from the target CPU it's a MAJOR bugbear!!!), and I think to a certain extent the IEC standardisation is now beggining to show through in most of the major brands software so cross migration IS becoming easier.. IEC instructions that I'm familiar with in mitsi, siemens and omron and all availible and even the layout of software is becoming similiar, so things are improving but i doubt we'll ever see a truly uniform system (too many vested interests IMHO). As for AB, I have only used RSlogix500 and thought it was a tidy piece of software given it's age....look at mitsi standard GX Dev in comparision...!!!. Omron are setting the standard at the moment as far as I am concerned software wise, I just wish I could get more Omron jobs!. Mitsi and Siemens are pretty prevalent in my field at the moment!. Apologies to Admin if off topic!