Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Xsailor

Migrate from TP170B to TP177B

6 posts in this topic

Greetings. I am a newbie to automation and just grasping the basics. The current issue. I have 3 production lines using Siemens S7200 CPU 226 and the TP170B. Basic open-loop motion control using 4 nos Applied Motion Stepper drives and motors. All machines are wired PNP on the input side; CPUs are DI/DO. Have recently completed the wiring of the 4th & the 5th line ( I do the mechanicals, Pneumatics and the wiring part myself.) At the time of ordering for the CPUs and Ex. modules, Siemens informed that the TP170B is no longer in production and on their suggestion purchased a TP177B color. Uploading the PLC with the original program was simple enough (I have a copy of the Simatic PLC software - 5 yrs old though) but I am stuck with the screen - No idea on how to proceed with it. Siemens India has converted the old screen code to a XYZ.hmi file (about 13mb large) but are asking me to spend an additional USD 300 to have an engineer come over and upload the data on the new screen using WinCC Flexible (not available with me). a) Is there a simpler solution to upload the screen? b) Is it wise to invest in WinCC flexible software? c) Since the display is rather simple and straightforward, will it be wiser to move to another make / Brand to avoid similar issues in the future as and when one of the TP170s die on me (The first one is nearly 5 years old and runs 360 days/16 hours a day)? Thanks in advance for your kind advice, Gentlemen. Seth Edited by Xsailor

Win CC is now the software required to configure all Siemens HMI's My experience with Siemens HMI's over the years has been that the product life (as in the interval between major changes) has been quite short, and the upgrade process has been painful. I know the technology has been changing quickly, but in my opinion they could have done more to ease path for users with older products. There are lots of similar displays on the market, from third parties, and in a lot of cases you do not pay for the configuration software. So given that you only have a few displays, look at the market, and go for one where the configuration software is thrown in free of charge. You can then support the systems yourself. Trouble is if you get Siemens in to download new config then every time you have a problem you will have to call them, and then you end up paying out a lot more. Mike

We have just switched to a ProFace Hmi unit. As new customers, the software was free. It is not too hard to program and setup. Also the displays are very flexible and have a lot of features. On the other hand, If Siemens sticks with WinCC, you won't be stuck with the compatability problem in future upgrades. good luck

If your dealing with Siemens, they are going to Wincc on all of the smaller HMI units. They have a software that is called Wincc compact that will program the smaller units. The display you have was most probably programmed using the older Siemens software Protool. If the local siemens support converts the file for you, it may be wise to buy the Siemens kit for your unit. The have the software bundled with cables to program the smaller hmi units for a lower price. Otherwise, you will need to develop a plan using another manufacturers HMI. But then you have to program the entire application again for each of your lines.

@ Mike, Jim & Rod: Thank you for your inputs. Have decided to call Siemens and get the screen going the first time around. For line 5, am planning to purchase a panel made by a company called ESA. Are they any good? The ESA engineer has promised to re-write the code gratis for all the previous lines. Cheers Seth

Not familar with them, but they look OK. Are they giving you a deal on the configuration software? When they install the new code get them to walk you through the configuration, and how to download etc.