Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Luc Morin

Modicon Quantum

12 posts in this topic

Hi all, I'd like to have information on the software that I should buy to program Quantum PLCs. Are there different "levels" of the software ? I've never worked with Modicon PLCs before, and I'm being asked to prepare a quote for a project. Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of ? Are the software and cables expensive ? Thank you. Edited by Luc Morin

There are different levels of the software but if you want to have access to the FULL Quantum range you will need Unity Pro XL. A single license for Unity Pro XL would cost me £2990 (UK) In all but the base level CPU the programming cable is standard USB like a printer cable.

WOW !!! This would translate to approximately $6000.00 CAD, which is highly prohibitive. That makes you wonder if this PLC manufacturer really wants to sell its products. Smaller automation contractors like me can't afford this kind of price level. And I thought Allen-Bradley was expensive !! Regards, Edited by Luc Morin

When I worked with Modicon products years ago, the software (any of them) was about $5K US. That's almost twice Allen Bradley, who charges a hefty price for their software. No wonder we had trouble selling the Quantum. None of the Quantum CPUs had USB, that must be something new. You can use ProWORX, Concept, or Unity depending on the CPU type. Unity is the latest (and supposedly greatest). Of course it can't be as bad as ProWORX 32. Which CPU are you looking at? Is this modification of an existing system? If so, you need to know how it was programmed (which software, IEC or 984 Ladder Logic).

ProWORX and Concept are about 30% more again than Unity !! Unity, as i understand it, is a rollup of the all American Modicon and European Telemecanique programming software into one common platform Oh and by the way it is good, well i think so anyway.

I haven't had all the details yet. I've been asked if I wanted to quote on a job. So far, they only told me it was a Modicon Quantum PLC, but this doesn't tell us much. I've asked them to provide all the details. I just thought I'd start looking around for the software, as I kind of had a hunch that it would be expensive. But $6000.00 CAN ???? Give me a break !!!! I hope I can convince them to change the spec to AB. Thank you. Edited by Luc Morin

A price i would pay anyday for unity. Find it a very good software

I've not worked with a Modicon in years, so unfortunately have not seen Unity. Maybe someday in the future...

I was employed directly by Modicon for many years. They always have done a POOR job of their software support. Today that is still true. It's way too expensive for the "little" guys. Of course AB just "rents" theirs! They claim that you get several hundred thousand dollars worth of software for "only" about $4K a year! Only $4K.....LOL! Depending upon what Quantum platform that you'll be using, and what functions, you could utilize anything from an old Modsoft version, regular Taylor, Proworx, ProworxNXT, Proworx32 on into Unity. Modicn, Square D, Schneider...whoever, is trying to "force" the user to go to Unity by sharply increasing the prices on the older products and reducing their availability. Maybe this has led to their decline in the market? When you attempt to force your clients to do something, you tend to force them away.

[1 thing about Unity though. It is NOT natively designed for the Quantum. It IS however for the Premium series. When used with teh Quantum there are Addressing issues to be decided . Concept is easier with the Quantum, and easier to learn. You may be able to find a schneider rep that will get you a temporary cd that will work for I think 15-30 days. If that s not enough time, install it on another computer to finish. Unity is a VERY powerfull Object Oriented package, it is great.

Yes please elaborate on the adressing issues, as I havent really found any problems. Unity is for Quantum,Premium and M340. Bit off topic but I find the canopen setup in Unity awesome. In pl7 it was needed to use a seperate software package to setup the comms