Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gamble

How do you mount exterior tags or plaques?

21 posts in this topic

I'm wondering how people mount plaques on enclosures or machines. I typically use engraved plastic plaques for things such as panel name, machine specs, etc... I've used adhesive plaques in the past, but I would like to move to something more secure (rivets?). Any suggestions?

I normally use the self adhesive "peel and stick" engraved plastic plaques, if I am using them outdoors, or in a particually nasty area I just add a little super glue to the adhesive that is already there.

For internal tags we normaly use snap track and snap track tags. If there is not enough room for snap track we use adhesive backed tags. Any external (exterior) we use drive screws or 4-40 self tapping screws. The self tapping screws allow the tag to be removed later if it needs to be replaced. Bud

In the past we've just used regular silicone and it works real well as long as both surfaces are clean when it is first applied. If something needs to change they come loose easily. Then apply a new bead of silicone when re-attaching.

We have a Brady label maker that will print on up to 2" tape. We then stick it to 1/4" plastic strips and mount with bolts, screws, rivets, silicone or whatever is most practical for the mount.

I've seen some people use what I can best describe as a steel tack. I wasn't able to get a good look at it, but it had a rounded head and the person would just hammer them onto the machine. Anybody I have any idea what these might be?

I guess sometimes I am held to the higher standards. See below specifications from Chysler & Ford Chrysler Do's & Don'ts 4.3.2 Standard Tag For Field Devices Standard Tag for field devices shall include: Permanent identification utilizing an approved tag, mechanically attached adjacent to the device. Each tag shall indicate the device P.L.C. address and Description, function and direction of motion. Characters shall be a minimum 5/32" in height. Tag shall be readily visible from the service side of the line and must not be mounted on the device it identifies or obscure the manufacturer’s label. FORD VOSS: 2.4.3.2 All switches shall have a lamicoid tag that includes the PLC description and input address. The tag shall be engraved with text no smaller than 1/8 inch and be mounted adjacent to the switch with drive screws. 2.4.7.13 Tags are to be shown and flagged out for the build supplier on the drawings for each valve, pressure reducer and gage pressure setting. Tags are to be affixed to the machine tooling and read machine function and valve number. All tags shall be attached with drive screws.

I use two #4 screw on small plaques and four #4 screws on larger plaques. I smear a bit of epoxy around the screw holes to seal it. I have the engraver do the screw hole with his engraving machine so they are symetrical.

Search "Easy-Drive Screw Nails for Sheet Metal, Plastic, and Plywood" or goto page 3286 of McMaster Carr. http://www.mcmaster.com/ Bud
1 person likes this

Hey, thanks Bud. I think that is exactly what I'm looking for.

If you clean the cabinet first and you are using the vinyl Brady labels, I haven't seen them come off or otherwise degrade at all. The only place I'd get nervous is in the presence of MEK (paint thinner). In that application (we have a paint machine), I have not found ANYTHING that lasts for any length of time. The paint thinner strips nearly everything. And engraved plaques tend to be unreadable once you strip the pigment off them, too.

The engraver we use has a lamacoid tag that is engraved from the rear. That is these tags have a clear layer on top and the tage is engraved from the back side. These tags hold up well in a dirty enviroment as the dirt does not fill in the engraved area. Solvents also do not tend to melt the tag down in a way that will fill in the engraved area. We have also had large tags made out of brushed aluminum with the information acid etched into the aluminum. The engraver is able to use our ACAD drawing to manufacture these tags. These tags could be used to show information (like part layout) or could have the whole operator panel layout on it (one large tag for all the PB's and lights). Bud

Have you tried a reverse engraved tag?

I got my first set of reverse engraved tags last summer. They are nice. You can get any color tag, with any color text. No cavities for dust and dirt. Highly recommend them.

I installed my first reverse engraved tags in a steel plant in 1999. Even after the years of wiping steel dust off of them, the are still clearly legible. I only recently started working in the chemical industry so I don't know how they will hold up over time in that environment.
1 person likes this

Hadn't thought about doing that.

We mount our Electrical Data Plate with rivets, it's made of aluminum and printed for us. Our other labels, warnings, Logo plates and etc are stuck on with adhesive backing.

Years ago I started silk screening all my panel doors. It looks cool, is almost immortal, and you can do a lot with the graphics. I cost me about $50 a panel. For the last few years, I don't mark anything. My panels have only a disconnect, power switch, light, and touchscreen. It's just obvious at to what does what.

I was recently made aware of a double sided tape product called TESA 4970. The stuff is seriously strong. If you put the label down in the wrong spot you'll probably destroy the label getting it back off.

We use a two part epoxy called Loctite 330. http://65.213.72.112/tds5/docs/330-EN.PDF

What size do you usually use for something like a 1.5"x0.5" lamacoid tag?