Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Geek

RS232(DH485) TO RS485(DH485) PINOUT

7 posts in this topic

Hello, I want to connect a Panelview 600 with only one RS232(DH485) port. I only have a 1746-PIC converter module. The problem is that the 1746-PIC module has an RJ45 plug but the port on the panelview is RS232. Does anyone have the pinout for connecting these two - RS232(DH485) port on panelview to RJ45 plug on 1746-PIC converter? You help will be very much appreciated. Thank you.

If you are using the 1747-PIC then your computer has a real serial port. If so then you don't need the PIC just connect your PC's serial port directly to your PV with a straight thru cable. Use the same driver in RSlinx as you would the PIC ( 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver)

Thank you Mickey, I followed your suggestion and it worked. It's always great to get support when needed. Thanks once again.

Bringing this thread back from the grave.... I've got a 1748PIC as well, as well as a Powerflex40 invertor drive,.. Now I believe AB has a "Special" cable that will do this (I think it's RS485, RJ45 both ends), but I'd much rather hack an old ethernet cable and rewire it. What I'm looking at trying to do (without losing an arm and a leg) is control the Powerflex from the computer... I can write a VB program to control the desired speeds, and will have to make a backend to transfer the data back to the unit... would be nice to be able to see the stats from the Powerflex on the computer too.. The hardest part will be to communicate with the device Does anyone have the pinouts for such a cable? I hated AB at my old job.. they made me carry a whole toolbox full of cables so I could access a half dozen different types of devices from the miniDIN-DB9 for the PLC's, and then db9-db9 for the panelviews, and again a crossover RJ45 for the bigger PLC's.... Oh, and depending on the PLC, a USB serial port didn't have the power to communicate.. Grrrr

See PDF DH-485 Cables used with SLC-500 processors and the 1747AIC.pdf

@Nesikep; Go ahead and open a new thread for this topic; the OP was confused about the PanelView RS-232 implementation of DH485 and you have a better handle on those products and technologies. RA has a USB to "DSI" converter, but in this case it sounds like you don't want to connect to Drive Explorer, but rather to a custom Modbus RTU Master over RS485. The basic connection to the PF40 is very ordinary "2-wire" RS485, with Data A, Data B, and ground as the data common. I have used the A-B 1761-NET-AIC converter with very good results for this connection. Depending on what your PC has available, you might want to choose a converter from another vendor. B&B Electronics is my preferred supplier for this sort of thing. Edited by Ken Roach