Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Birdie_Man

PLC2 Program needed

4 posts in this topic

Does anyone have a old plc2 program that they can email me? I need one just for the purpose of running the conversion software. I have a plc2 to plc5 conversion comming up and want to see how this software works. Email to bshannon@ddauto.com Thanks

Don't have PLC2 Program but the guys in these posts might. http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=7433&hl=plc2 http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=6500&hl=plc2 Found them by searching these forums for plc2.

I have been digging through my archives and have not found the few PLC-2 programs I have. Do you know the main program file extension? On a related note, I do not know this personally but did hear first-hand from more than one knowledgeable contractor that the PLC-2 to PLC-5 conversion tool has bugs. In most cases, due to all the re-work they ran into repairing the issues that did not convert over, they both agreed that starting from scratch with the program printout/program display was time better spent. I think a lot of the problems have to do with converting from double-slot addressing (Rack/Group/Slot and only limited to 8-bit words) to single-slot addressing (what we typically see today with 16 and 32-bit words). Thus, plus most PLC-2 programs had limited number of ladder files, and most PLC-5/SLC/ControlLogix programmers like to segment code into many ladder files to keep things straight and organized. So, if you are going to spend a lot of time moving code around into new ladder files, well then maybe a manual conversion is the ticket. Your A-B distributor might be able to run the conversion for you for free to determine if the conversion tool is worth your time or not. I have done a number of conversions and I always entered the logic manually.

I did several plc2 to plc5 conversions and would agree that it is better and most of the time faster to rewrite the program than to use the conversion utility. Only the simple relay only type of logic converts clean. Any sequencer or math do not convert correctly.