Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ken Moore

OT: Heat Pumps for the Home

10 posts in this topic

Not in any way PLC or Automation related, but this is the lounge, so anything clean right? Long story short, my existing Heat Pump is on it's way out, and I'm looking for any feedback on what to look for in a new one. Which brands you might like or dislike etc.... Existing unit is a York, and has been in service for 15 years, 14 of those years were worry free. So I do not have any thing bad to say about York. However, companies change over time and the York of 15 years ago, might not be the York you buy today. I know that whatever brand I choose, I want the "new" type freon, and at least a SEER rating of 14, higher would be better. Any comments are appreciated. Any recent good or bad experiences. I know the climate requirements, limit the areas that heat pumps are efficient, so the board members with heat pumps may be limited, but thought it was worth a shot.

Ken, Going back over 20 years, I actually installed York products in the Charlotte / Lake Wylie / Rock Hill area. I recall them being a very good product. They had a York unit for quite some time. I believe my parents now have a Trane system in their home. I believe the change was due to who they selected to install their new unit. I don't believe it was based on manufacturer. For you, it may come down to who you select to do the installation. I can't speak as to who they are now, but through your experience and my memory, it was (and probably still is) a good product. I don't know if there will be much of a difference in efficiency ratings, but you may want to look into different manufacturer's ratings. Is your unit an all in one or split? If a split are you having problems with the outside unit or the blower? Hope this helps. God Bless,

Ken I was a HVAC mechanic in Ky. and Southern In. in a former life. We sold and installed American Standard as a main line With ICP a second line. I would personally use a dual fuel system. If you want more details on it ask. I will try not to make this a sales pitch. Consumer Report did a study on the top 4 brands from a reliability stand. 1 American Standard, 2 Carrier, 3 Trane, 4 Bryant. The only diff. in AS and Trane are the installers they travel down the same conveyor during assembly. Carrier and Bryant are the same as well. You know as well as I do that not all installation are the same from contractor to contractor. I don't like to bad mouth any company But stay away from the GOODMAN. Over the years providing service I have seen too many units fail premature.

Getting a quote from two American Standard dealers today, and a York quote next week. Wish me luck!

Ken if you can afford it look at a variable speed system, dual fuel. The heatpump efficency is cut in half at 32 degrees F. The ambient air does not have the heat to to extract. My heatpump outdoor stat is set for 25 degrees. That is the point at where the strip heats in a standard air handler can kick in only after a 30 min. run time. My system is a 18 SEER 410A 3.5 ton with 75K variable speed 2 pipe LP furnace. A standard cheap thermostat can undo any high eff system that you create. Just my half a cent. If you get a chance give me a call. Edited by JAK

this is just a “while we’re on the heat pump subject” post ... it isn’t intended to influence your decision at all ... one thing that needs to be considered when replacing any “other type” of heater with a heat pump is the age of the occupants in the house ... “little old folks” who have a tendency to be cold-natured often have a hard (if not impossible) time getting used to a heat pump ... the reason is that the air temp is usually only about 80 degrees coming out of the vents - and that’s on a “good” day ... now an 80 degree room is actually pretty warm - but the fact is that 80 degree air moving across exposed skin can actually feel pretty darn cool ... especially when the humidity in the room is low - as it usually is during the winter months ... (think “wind-chill factor”) ... so ... if the occupants of the house are getting up in age - and ESPECIALLY if they’re used to “hunkering down” right next to the vents of some other type of heater, then putting in a brand new heat pump is something that can cause a lot of problems ... my grandmother NEVER got used to hers - and we eventually had to install an “auxiliary” electric heater just for her sitting room ... she’d wrap a quilt around her legs and drape the open end of it over the “real heater’s” floor vent ... nothing else would keep her warm - especially not that “new-fangled-money-saving” heat pump contraption that everyone had talked her into getting ...

Ron As always great points. That is why I recomend a dual fuel system heatpump and gas furnace. If / when you need the 100+ degree air you can adjust the stat to 2 degrees over the setpoint. that will bring in the senond and maybe the third stages of heat (gas backup). Being the overkill guys we are I look at it from a risk managment view. When the electric fails, it fails for a day or two at a time. (out in the country) The backup generator that you have to have to run the strips or pump is huge. On the other hand my welder will provide 10Kw when not welding. That is enought to run a gas furnace at 15A 120V for a long time. The local Big Box store has the small generators eveywhere.

Hey Ken Just wanted to follow up on this. What did you ever go with?

I went with York again, got it from the same guy who installed the last one. He is a known factor, no complaints. Got a 16 SEER unit. So far so good. The higher efficiency York units put out semi-warm air in heat mode, a factor that had a lot of influence on my wife. I was leaning toward an American Standard, because they are local and parts would be easy to get. Then I said wait a minute, it's new, you will not need parts ( I hope).

Ken did you get the colored out door unit or your favorite sports team? I think is a great idea that they came up with. Make the unit blend in or standout what ever your heart desires. I am glad that your wife is happy. Them and the little ones are all that really matter.