Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MuttsNutts

CompactLogix Ethernet port question

18 posts in this topic

Hiyo, I am using ver 15.01 of Logix 5000 and I can quite happily go online to the processor via RS232 into Channel 0. However, there is an Ethernet port and I want to assign it an IP address. The PLC is a CompactLogix 1769-L35E Ser. A I see it appear in the I/O configuration tab as: "1769-L35E Ethernet Port LocalENB" I right click on this and [Properties ---> Port Configuration] when online but I get an error: "Incorrect module. CIP object in module does not exist. There may be a module identity mismatch or improper configuration." Er.... All I have is a CPU and a power supply attached to each other. Am I missing something???? (I hope this is a quick and easy one but why oh why oh why is it difficult to set the IP address of the pLC????)

Hello, To configure ethernet port, you have 2 options : Use Rslinx with your serial DF1 driver. Browse on serial driver to reach the ethernet CompactLogix port Right click on the ethernet card and assign the ethernet IP Second one is to use the DCHP - BOOT server Connect your ethernet cable between your PC and CompactLogix The MAC ID address of the compactlogix will appear and you will be able to assign the IP address

I always use the DHCP method and have not had any trouble. With the serial connection not allowing the ethernet configuration it sounds like maybe the processor is not configured correctly.

I have found inconsistent results using BootP. Helps to isolate the PLC and PC such that BootP sees only one MAC address. I tend to use the RSLinx DF1 method. Then reconfigure the PC NIC card and do initial firmware upgrades and download programs.

Hello. Thanks for the options (and everyone else who posted) Ok, I have RS Linx Gateway ver 2.43.lots of numbers. I can connect serially as you say but under the driver it shows a big yellow question mark and it says "01, Unrecognized Device, <name of project>" (I've Auto-Configured the comms by the way.) I can talk to the PLC however. <shrugs> Anyways, I cannot browse to the ethernet port via the means you propose as I don't see it anywhere. Anything else I should do perhaps? TC

Sounds like you need an updated eds sheet. go to http://www.ab.com/networks/eds Enter the search criteria as shown and then select your firmware rev Download and save this file and then use the RSlix EDS tool to register it. Shutdown and restart RSlinx and your unknown device message should dissappear. Also address setting should work.

Jaysus. Why are these things never straightforward and how would I have worked that out only for this site???? Many thnaks, I'm off there now (despite the Friday feeling kicking in) and will have a gander at it and have a go. Baws, everything has gone well but it's still not appearing as the nice wee icon it promised. Ok, will restart computer. Back in a mo... Baws. Everything worked fine but the nice wee icon it promised has not yet appeared. Still getting the yellow question mark thingy though. Will restart my computer. Back in a mo. TC

Hmmm. No good it seems. RS Linx doesn't want to come out and play. (I sometimes wonder why I bother with all this malarkey..... fishing looks a nice change of career option. Catch fish, eat, catch fish. Superb.)

Now that you have the correct EDS loaded please review the following postings and try one or both and let us know how it goes. Post a screen shot if you can. P.S. - you'll need to complete the free signup to use Rockwell's knowledgebase if you haven't already. How to Use the BOOTP DHCP Server to Set the IP Address of a New Device How to configure a 1769-L32E, 1769-L35E Ethernet port IP address via RS-232 DF1 devices driver in RSLinx P.P.S. - I know that Rockwell Stuff can be frustrating, but bear with it once you get it, you'll like the results.

Thanks, will get back to you on this. (I have decided... I like you)

Okey dokey then. I've abandoned the resolution of the Ethernet problem for now because after downloading and installing the .eds sheet for Ethernet under RSLinx my laptop can go online but grinds to a halt (more or less) when talking serially to the PLC. (Wanted to go online serially first, find the assigned IP address - by someone else - then configure comms for Ethernet). So, one system retore point later, I am happily comms(ing) serially at 19200, albeit a bit slow. Well, very slowly but I'll speed up comms soon. Anyhows, I have a new problem... There are 25 slots all populated with I/O cards. These cards are similar insofar as slots 18 and 19 are identical I/O cards but slot 19 is complaining whereas slot 18 is quite happily wagging its tail and the I/O status LED is blinking. Oh dear. So, here's the layout: The series and revision numbers match what's stamped on the side of the module. But I have the following error: Under the Controller Properties dialogue box ----> Major Faults and Minor Faults, there are no entries. Switching from REM to RUN causes a major fault (ok, I can appreciate this) which says "(Type 03) I/O Fault. (Code 23) At least one required connection not established before going into RUN mode. I reset this fault with the keyswitch in REM and we're back to no major faults and the I/O LED is blinking. Clearly, I have a problem with some kind of mismatch or "Reply service code does not match the requested service code". What gives? (I am determined to get to the bottom of this - well, I have no choice really - so any information will be appreciated. I will provide feedback if I manage to crack it myself). TC

I don't have time tonight to check the knowledgebase, but if memory serves me correctly and Ken Roach or others like TW may remember the details, the Compactlogix family has some very fussy rules about how many modules you can place on one backplane without a power supply and also how far from the CPU any module can be on the backplane. Your layout would be exceeding the rules if my memory isn't too rusty. Check you User Manual for Hardware config rules. I'll try to do the same in a day or two when I get a break.

Aha. Yer too kind. Hmmmm, what I have noticed is that these errors are on the boundaries of a change of I/O cards. Slot [22] through to [24] are 1769-IF8/A cards and slot [25] is a 1769-OF8C/A card. [24] and [25] are also in alarm. There is a PSU between slots [2] and [3] as well as [14] and [15]. I moved the PSU between [14] and [15] to between [17] and [18] but the faults remain exactly as shown. I also swapped I/O cards at slots [12] and [13] and the fault did not move. This got me thinking. <picture a lightbulb appearing above my head> Then, I checked the physical layout and connections between the racks. The following layout (slot nos in brackets) is how the drawings are, the idents in the panel, and the software sees these I/O slots as a continuous list reading from left to right: [CPU][2][PSU][3][4][5][6][7][8][9][10] next DIN rail down we have [11][12][13][14][PSU][15][16][17][18][19][20][21] next DIN rail down we have [22][23][24][PSU][25] HOWEVER.... (and I did not spot this until I was moving the PSU in the second rack) there cable extending the bus is telling me where perhaps the answer lies... slot [10] is connected to slot [21] and slot [11] is connected to slot [22] such that the layout, in my mind flows like an inverted "S". Therefore (and I will try this tomorrow first thing) I am thinking that in the software I/O Configuration, if I reverse the middle layout to suit what I think is the logical I/O arrangement as connected, Slot [21] will become slot [11] and so forth such that a 1769-IF8/A should appear at slot [11] instead of a 1769-IQ32 yes? I shall try this tomorrow and post a reply if it works.

Your I/O layout should NOT be an inverted "S". They read left to right as you have done. It might just be a typo but you left Slot 1 out of your DIN rail layout. You have a generic module in slot 1 of your I/O configuration. What is it or did you get confused with your slot numbering and put this in there as a place marker or is it truly a specialty module? Slot 0 is the processor. Slot 1 will be your next module. I think this should be a IQ32 and not the generic module If these are shifted down one as it kind of appears, you would have faults on the last group of identical modules. This would cause a fault on 13, 19, and your last module. I can't see the I/O configuration of modules 22 and up but this sounds like what you have done. Go to RsLinx and do an RsWho. Expand the I/O of your PLC and do a screen capture

Ok, thanks for the info. I am staggered that the I/O table still reads left to right even though slot [10] is connected to [21] but there you go, something else weird and wonderful in the PLC world. Um, I thought there was a screen capture already shown above where you can see the I/O list... unless I am misunderstanding you? However, I think you have kindly pointed me to what the problem might be... it's this "module" at slot [1]. Physically (from the left) there is an end-stop thingy, the CPU, IQ32, PA4, IQ32, IQ32,.... etc. I'll take it out of the software and see where we go from there?

Job done. Everything works now. Thanks TWControls, you pointed me in the direction of that which was staring me in the face: the physical I/O and the configuration in the software did not match. I deleted this "module" at slot [1] and then shifted all the cards to fill the gap so that [CPU][iQ32][iQ32]...[OF8C] now corresponds to slots [0][1][2]...[24] I have still not resolved the original issue of Ethernet comms via RSLinx but I get the latest Logix software on Tuesday so we'll take it from there. This malarkey of the extension cables between the racks has had me scratching my head somewhat as I woulod have assumed the I/O slots would have followed the next logical connection but there you go... ya learn something new every day. Left-to-right it is. Thanks.

Before you even attempt to go online through Ethernet, run through the basics first. Can you ping the Compactlogix? Are you running any firewalls or internet security softwares? Follow the link below to a good utility for making sure ports are not blocked http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/cgi...amp;p_topview=1