Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
waynes

Unitelway -> Modbus network

7 posts in this topic

Hi guys/ gals, I have a customer who has an existing system with 2x XBT HMI's 2x TSX3722 (micro) PLC's; each with a TSX SCP 114 PCMCIA card 8x ATV 58 Drives 1x SCADA The current system uses the Unitelway bus system which is quite good. Now one of the drives have packed up and Schneider has advised me to use the ATV31 drive as replacement. 1 problem, this drive has no support for the Unitelway bus system. Now, the only way to continue is to convert the entire network, or a section of it to Modbus (or similar). This is easier said than done. The SCADA reads from both PLC's So do the HMI's And the one PLC is "master" which polls all the drives and send info to the second PLC Modbus supports only one master and the HMI's, SCADA and PLC1 want to be the masters. The one solution is to break the drives apart from the network and use a gateway to talk between the Unitelway and MOdbus networks. This is expensive and starts at about 500 euro's. Is there another way by utilising the TER/ AUX ports to do this another way? Any help is really appreciated.

Just pondering here, but cant you connect that one drive straight to the front port via modbus using this cable :TWD XCA RJ030 Not really sure but I think it is possible. I attached a pdf and that to me shows that it is possible. Just send the commands and retrieve the data from that drive with modbus and send data then via unitelway. I pressume all the other drives are also very old. If so you might need to tell the customer that it might be advisable to switch the drives over to modbus or canopen Hope this helps. Go die sharks!!!! atv31_modbus.pdf Edited by cHud

Hi cHud, Thanks for the reply. I think the solution you where going for was by using the Twido and not the TSX Micro. I am not even able to set the TER port to Modbus/ CAN. I can only set it to Unitelway or Character mode link. I think that the only other option is to go for the ATV71's with a Unitelway option card. Although, this is much more expensive. Thank for your response. GO the Lions!

What version cpu is it?? Because I can definitely set channel 0 (ter) to modbus. I think you have a v3.0 or older cpu. any version higher that 3 you can set to modbus. Talk about bad luck I c the stormers are winning Edited by cHud

What about connecting the micro to a tsxetz410 and going modbus from there? Go to telemecanique.com to check the modules specs. I think that might work and be cheaper than an atv71. On the other hand you can persuade the customer to switch out all the old drives to atv71's.I Love those drives and you'll make some bucks

Hi cHud, I have convinced the customer to go for the ATV71 drives. These things are really expensive. Thanks anyways

They might be expensive but they are for special applications. Just have a look at the functionallity of the atv71. I think its an awesome drive