Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bjclem

PLC5 interfacing with a Delta V DCS

5 posts in this topic

I have to interface a PLC5 with a Delta V Dcs looking for the easiest way to get this done . I don't know the dcs side so any help would be great.

I know modbus works, but there may be better options. Modbus would require a Prosoft card for the PLC-5, and some ladder logic to get the data to/from the ladder to the Prosoft Card

What would you like to do Read and Write stuff to the DCS? I just started with a new company that has alot of DeltaV and I have seen a serial card in the DeltaV chasis to talk to a SLC com port. What a difference from AB PLC's to DeltaV.

If you can tolerate having a PC as the commication bridge, then by far the easiest thing to do would be purchase a PC and install RsLinx OEM or single node. Then set up an OPC topic in Linx for the PLC-5. Delta V can then poll the OPC topic for data. Delta V, has been courting my site for the last year or two, and I've read a lot of the sales brochures, they really push OPC, so I'm pretty sure you could go this way. Since Delta V software usually runs on Windoze server 2003, perhaps you could even install RsLinx on one of the Delta V machines, eliminating the need for an additional PC.

If you have an OPc server that is already talking to the PLC5 you can use Kepware's LinkMaster to read data from the PLC5's server and write it to the Delta V Server. We have customers doing that all the time. If the Delata V does not have the OPC Server implimented but does have the Modbus Ethernet or serial Master implimented then you can use the KEPServerEX Modubs drivers in Slave mode and using LinkMAster pull the data from the PLC5 server into the Modbus Slave image and then Delta V can poll the slave to get the data. This is done quite requently as well. You can download a full funtioning demo of the products at http://www.kepware.com If you have any further questions on how to do this you can contact Kepware Technical Support (Technical.support@kepware.com) or call us at 888-537-9273 x211. Fred Loveless Support Manager Kepware Technologies