Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fredjohns

RSLinx Driver for Allen Bradley 5/01

8 posts in this topic

We recenly got some older equipment in from one of our other plants and they are controled by an Allen Bradley 5/01. We have other Allen Bradley PLC's in the plant but they are all controlled by the MicroLogix 1000, 1200. This Equipment came with a PIC Cable (1747-PIC) but when I look in RSLinx to find a driver to use with the PIC Cable there is nothing listed that I can find. Normal we use the DF1 Driver for our micrologix's. The version of RSLinx we are using is 2.20.01 If anyone knows what driver I should pic it would be greatly appreciated. Fred Johns

I run RSLinx version 2.51.00.21 (CPR 7) and under the communcation drivers, there is a selection for 1747-PIC/AIC+ Driver. Perhaps you should consider upgrading your RSLinx.

I am running RSlinx Classic version 2.52 and there is a driver for the 1747-PIC listed. It is listed as 1747-PIC/AIC+ Driver.

Thanks, I will have to see if i can find a newer version, teh 1747-PIC/AIC driver is not in this version for some reason...

My recollection is that the 1747-PIC/AIC driver in RSLinx 2.20 (and maybe 2.30 too) did not work in Windows XP, so if you install those versions on XP the driver intentionally was not listed. That was around 2001 or 2002. I think they added it back in RSLinx 2.31. RSLinx Lite is a free download; just go through the normal software update website and when you select RSLinx Lite, the field that would normally require a serial number is not present, so you just download the software. The RSLinx Lite download will work with any license that activates the OEM, Professional, or Gateway functions too. Just make sure you are on a fast Internet connection; RSLinx Lite is a really big download because of all the stuff included in it (like EDS libraries).

Thanks Eddie, I will download that one and give it a try..

A lot of newer laptops do not have a "true" serial port, and finding a usb to serial adapter to work with the pic driver box (1747-pic) was giving Allen Bradley a problem. At least that is what they told me. What they offer now is a 1747-UIC adapter. It works through the DF1 and DH485 protocol. It has a usb connection to the laptop and you can use a RS-232 comms cord or a RJ45 patch cable (AB of course) to connect to a micrologix or SLC 501 PLC. I think they got away from the PIC driver (like someone said earlier) because of the newer versions of Windows and the way a lot of laptops do not have "true" serial ports. Here is a picture.