Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
neilr216

SAFETY CONTROL SYSTEM FORUM

10 posts in this topic

Recently we have noticed a push towards upgrading safety systems associated with PLC controls sytems to the Category 4 level. We are currently designing and installing safety systems incorporating OMRON NE1A Safety Network Controllers , AB Smartguard Controllers and Jokab PLuto Safety PLCs from Sweden. Jokab in particular, with it's pulsed EDEN safety input devices, has provided us with some new alternatives to conventional safety circuits. My question is : Would it be possible to have a MRPLC forum dedicated to Safety PLCs, Safety Relays circuits, & Safety input devices? We have gained a lot of experience with these systems in the past few years and would certainly be happy to share any knowledge that we have with others, and would welcome any information from other MRPLC members.

Doesn't sound like a bad idea.

I second (third?) the motion!

This would be a good subject. Older machines arealways being updated with newer controls .

i agree, many could benefit form it... i was just making some few year old machine more user friendly. the owner is more than happy with improvements, but he was shocked when i pointed to number of safety issues with this very very dangerous piece of equipment (flying knife). just an example: servo is high speed and blade is attached directly to motor shaft (7kW servo), blade is strong, sharp and long, it is hazard on it's own even without motion. the only sensor to check if guard is removed only goes through standard PLC, only few pulses from controller make it go full revolution and wiring is in terrible shape (currently being replaced - so many loose connections, things were comming on and off on ther own like christmass lights), when guard is removed (just a cover on a hinge that can be conveniently removed with one finger) servo is still enabled and ready for chopping etc. this beast must be tamed properly, the scary part is that people who concieve such things are the ones that are least aware (and skilled) in safeguarding, wiring etc.

And the worst people part of this is "We've used it this way for years an no has ever gotten hurt -- Now you want to add all that safety mumbo jumbo stuff and make my job harder"

Thanks to everyone for their reply to this posting. Does anyone know how we go about getting this forum category up and running?

i guess more people showing interest wouldn't hurt

I would be interested. We have a a lot SIL rated equipment on our site, Saftey Instrument Systems, as well as a triplicated Triconix shutdown system, and one of my jobs is to improve the safety instrument system testing regime.