Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ICTechs.com

Connecting a Laptop directly to a Panelview 1000

4 posts in this topic

I have a friend in CA that is trying to hook up directly to a Panel View 1000 (2711-K10C8L1) RsLinx lite configured for DF1-Rs232. Panelbulder 32 version 3.8 He was able upload/download to his SLC using a 1747-CP3 using DF-1. I did some research on the 1747-CP3 cable, and a old thread said that this cable will not work when hooked up directly to a Panelview. He got a serial cable to hookup to the panelview 1000 I'm here in Maryland trying to troubleshoot his communication issues so bare with me. I asked him first if there were 2 RS232 ports on the Panelview 1000 (one for printer, other for communcation) he says no that there is only one. I had him verify Rslinx DF-1 config. when he hits "auto configure" , Rslinx just wonders, and doesnt see the panelview. I ask him to open Panelbuiler 32, and at the open/new/upload/download box I had him select "Upload" He gets a box with "ok" and a little "caution symbol" This is 101 in PLC's, and its killing us because we both know it, but are exhausted out of ideas Edited by ICTechs.com

An update. Turns out he bought a null modem calbe instead of a serial cable I'll let the forum know how things went once hw gets the proper cable

Also, The PanelView he has, has a DH+ port and a RS232 (printer/Download-upload port). His SLC must be a SLC5/04 (DH+) to work with this PV. Edited by Mickey

1. A tip to file away for future is if you are running an application on your PC that uses the serial port, that application may need to be killed for RSLinx to use the serial port properly. For instance, I run Palm Desktop for my trusty but old Palm Vx (which gets updated via the serial cradle) and this application must be killed in the System Tray for RSLinx to run properly for serial connections. 2. The null modem cable has bit most of us at least once. Figure out your correct cable setup and label that mother so everything is crystal clear in the future. Also consider picking up duplicate serial cables and a serial port/cable tester (MCM Electronics, Granger, etc., all carry such an animal). I try to snag all the leftover serial cables from our IT guys before they chuck them all in one of those 5S cleanup fail swoops. Nothing can be worse than spending hours trying to get comms to find a $10 flippin serial cable had a bad spot. Same thing goes for Ethernet...pickup a tester and a spare cable and build up your road/project kit. Oh, and if you find a bad cable, cut it up before you trash it. I have seen electricians or other engineers pickup a cable from the trash bin and get jammed up figuring why it was thrown away in the first place. Edited by kaiser_will