Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Screamin

Fanuc Robot

4 posts in this topic

Good morning. I hope someone out there can give me a hand. I have a Fanuc RJ3iC controller with an RB165F robot, with a 7th axis. I have air chucks that advance to activate a clamp on the 7th axis and then retract when it is running. However, when they are in teach, the techs have full control of it. What has happened a few times is that they have left the chucks engaged and have rotated the 7th axis, thereby breaking off the chucks. This is becoming expensive. Instead of finding new techs, I would like to be able to not allow the 7th axis to move when those chucks are advanced, when we are in teach. Any suggestions? Thanks

Have you looked into using one of the UOP signals as an interlock? I can't remember but maybe the CMDENBL? Or I thought there was a UOP signal from the robot that indicated AUTO? Like interlock that with a brake or in series with an enable relay on the output of the chucks? I am just stabbing here.... So if your in auto, enable the chucks, which lets the robot or PLC control the output, if your not in auto, then the chucks disengage or drop out no matter what the robot or PLC say because the output wires have been disconnected from the chucks and prevent them from actuating.

There are a couple of ways to skin this cat. 1. You could run the chuck energize outputs through a contactor with a hard-wired circuit to put them in a safe state if the 7th axis is energized. 2. If you have control of the air chucks through like a PLC, you can put safety logic in to put the air chucks in a safe condition should the teach pendant be enabled.

I believe there is an (Output terminal) for "enable" When the robot key switch is in the "REMOTE"or "AUTO" setting. When placed in "LOCAL" the Output turns "OFF". That would be 1 possibility. I also believe there is an output terminal for when the teach pendant switch is turned "ON". That would be another possibility. A third possibility would be to add an output in the beginning of your program or programs, that enables the chucks to come "ON" only when your programs run in "Automatic".