Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Noely

SMS Texts To And From A SLC 503

7 posts in this topic

I have an application where I need my plc to text me when a fault occurs. I have a pump pumping water and when the pump has a fault, I want the plc to send me a mesage saying pump fault. I also have a pressure transducer and a flow meter both giving me a 4-20mA to tell me the flow rate and line pressure. Is it possible for me to text the plc and prompt it to send me a message back telling me the line pressure and flowrate at that time. The modem I was thinking of using is a " Westermo GDW-11 " Any ideas woul be greatly appreciated

Is it near a network that goes to the internet? Use a 1761-NET-ENI and email yourself a text. Most cell companies allow this

Unfortunately its in a completly remote location

Can you use a mobile phone there? What i mean is if there is mobile phone network around then you can use a GSM modem to send SMS to your phone.

Yes there is network coverage at the pump house

You can use a GSM modem, buy a SIM card with data number ( the SIM card you use in your mobile phone only have voice number) for the GSM modem. Then you have to configure the modem with a few AT commands required. Connecting it to the serial port of the PLC. Do some PLC programming to send messages to your mobile phone in a particular conditions. With this setup, you can even go online with your PLC remotely via a landline. I never attempted to send commands to the PLC from the phone so I can not advise you on this, but I think when the machine sends you the fault message, it can also send you all other information that you need. Even if you want more info then you can get online from a laptop/PC to look into the processor. I hope it will help. If this is what you want to do and you want more help to set up a system then I am ready to give you a hand. Good luck

Thank you for the replies, I have the plc texting me the faults. I could do with a few pointers to try and solve texting the plc to send information back to me.