Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobLfoot

How to Set Up SLC 5/05 and PF40 with Enet to communicate

6 posts in this topic

Anyone set up a SLC 5/05 to communicate and control an AB PowerFlex 40 (with the 22COME Ethernet interface module on the VFD). I have a customer asking. I am assuming you just set up an Ethernet IP interface and define some registers in the PLC but have not done it. Any advice is welcome.

Bob, I have not worked with the 40 but I am guessing it would be like the 4's. I have a PF4 and a ML1100 talking and it works well. There is information in the knowledge base about getting them to talk with a message command. Not much help I guess but I would think its about the same. Marv.

It's a little more complex than that. The SLC-5/05's Ethernet interface is not an I/O scanner and never will be, but the PowerFlex drives have a special interface feature that allows them to be controllable in a limited manner over the Ethernet network. I generally recommend against this because this method depends on correct programming, is not time-repeatable, and takes up a portion of your controller's bandwidth. I ususally relent when a customer agrees to hard-wire at least his Stop command. That being said, here's my code example: http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?autocom=downloads&showfile=759 I still strongly prefer DeviceNet for drive interfaces to SLC-5/0x controllers. Yesterday I was at the Seattle Boat Show and one of the marine electronics dealers found me craning my neck around behind a demo of some navigation equipment. He was disappointed when I told him I just wanted to see if they were using DeviceNet taps on the NMEA 2000 CAN network.

I can not get this file to load in RS Logix... is it possible my version is to old to support it? Thats not really my question, but I would like to see the code if someone could post it as a pdf, that would be great. Also I was not aware that "The SLC-5/05's Ethernet interface is not an I/O scanner and never will be" does this mean the 5/05 cannot effectively act as a hub for a ethernet/IP system... say to control drives, interface with a PV plus, and flex I/O?

Here you go. (see PDF below) MSG_PF40_EXAMPLE.pdf

I did a printout of the ladder logic and screenshots of the EEM and MSG instructions and added it to the example thread: http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=13135 The program file is in version 7.20 of RSLogix 500. The SLC-5/05, PLC-5E, and MicroLogix 1100 all support only the Messaging protocol of EtherNet/IP. They do not support the I/O protocol and never will. EtherNet/IP I/O connections are exclusively the province of ControlLogix-family controllers. The SLC-5/05 cannot control via its Ethernet port any EtherNet/IP I/O device, including 1734POINT, 1794FLEX, 1756-series, 1738 ArmorPOINT, or any other third-party EtherNet/IP I/O device. It can run most of those on DeviceNet. The SLC's ability to "control" A-B drives is exclusively because the drives have chosen to emulate an SLC data table for their control elements. It is not, in my opinion, a "control-reliable" mechanism and I do not recommend it. I only provide the example messaging logic to answer the "what is the best way" question about how to condition MSG instructions for this application.