Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
alanled

200 series remote comm's

5 posts in this topic

Hi Ive been asked by a client if it is possible for me to give remote plc support for a rig wew have just built which is to be used in India. Im using a 214XP with 2 i/o expansion modules 223's i think. Ive been on the Siemens website and seen they do a comm's module but I have very little experience in this field. How difficult is it to set communication for fault finding and basic program alterations etc any help would be great, many thanks.

I assume you are going to install modems at each location and dial up the remote site by conventional phone line. This will be slow and depending on the phone service in India, you may get fustrated with disconnections caused by line noise. But it can be done. I would talk to siemens for suggested modems and settings for the software.

Many thanks Rod for the advice, Im hoping I wont have to use it but it will save me a trip to India! If there are any issues.

Siemens offers a modem module which connects right into the extension bus on the S7-200. That would be the easiest, as there is also a wizard in the Step 7-Micro/WIN software to configure it. I also assume you mean 224XP, as I never saw a 214XP. The XP designation indicated the unit with built in analogs and second serial port.

I have never done it myself but it was discussed at a siemens training course i was on last year. You could use the Siemens land Line modem 6ES7241-1AA22-0XA0 EM241 or a GSM/GPRS Modem 6NH9720-3AA00 Or if the customer has broadband then use the Ethernet Module 6GK7243-1GX00-0XE0 If you want a UK contact at Siemens then let me know and ill PM you there email address. Edited by 504bloke