Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lenfras

barcode reader

17 posts in this topic

Help, I want to add a barcode reader to plc Allen bradley slc 500 5/04, the problem is that I already have connected a printer in the serial port. could you guys recommend me or tell me how to do it, I heard about installing a basic module, I would like to know an easier way. Thanks and sorry about my english.

If you use a GSC module all the programming is done with logic and you wont have to program the Basic module

Use a Banner Engineering BCR camera (<$1000) Set it up for PCCC communication. Talk to it, over ethernet, like a PLC 5. (use messeges) I do this for all my barcode needs. Cameras are great since you have no alignment worries and no laser to blind people.

if you do end up using basic module I could give you the program for the module to read either one or two barcode scanners plus program for slc

"If you use a GSC module all the programming is done with logic and you wont have to program the Basic module" Forgive my ignorance, but what is a GSC module?

Thanks to all of you for answer my question. I think GSC means Generic Serial Communication. Take a look Prosoft Buster, If you did this connection, Could you post the barcode reader brand and model. Thank you!!!!

I there, Any body that already did this connection before, Barcode reader with Module GSC (RJ45 connector), If so, Could you recomend me a barcode reader brand and model that works with this module, Thanks a lot!!!

Hello, You could use our Serial to EtherNet module. Takes your barcode data and puts the data right into your SLC's string register. Simple and easy to use. List price $625. See it here: http://www.rtaautomation.com/ethernetip/435nba/ We show the Logix version. The SLC version would be 435NBS. Two mounting options, din rail and panel mount, Just add -D for din rail or -P for panel mount. Rick

While not necessarily any easier than an ascii/basic module you could use a Devicenet Scanner Card and the 1734-ASC Module which does serial to DNET.

hi man, i have worked with the GSC module for my scanner application. i have used it with MicroScan Ms-820 Scannner . i can send the information you required.

Thanks for your inputs, we found a solution for this issue, This is what we did, the printer and scanner use the same protocol (ASCII), we made a kind of serial data switch with little relays and a signal from a panel view to switch them, so we used the same channel, I think I forgot to tell that we don't wanted to run both at the same time. Thanks!!!

Heron8888, I could sure use the info you have. I have a basic module and am trying to use a Symbol LS3408-FZ20005R BARCODE SCANNER. Using two would be ideal. I think I have the basic module programming and slc programming both screwed up. The processor is a 5/04 if you need that. Thanks Will

If you have ethernet, controlnet or devicenet available use the AB Point IO modules with either RS232 or RS422 modules. Easy to set up and program. Cost is 1/4 of the GSC module from Prosoft. Only limitation is it is only 128bytes max on data coming back at a time. not sure what the devicent head module pn? Allen Bradley 1734-ANCR controlnet Allen Bradley 1734-AENT ethernet Allen Bradley 1734-232ASC, 1734-485ASC Of course the great thing about it is its an ab product, so you get support from them if you got suport already.

Thanks for the quick reply, but I am limited to what I have in-house, which is the AB Basic module 1746-BAS.

Let me know your email address, and I will send some files when I am back at work in a couple of days, to get you started

Hi there Thanks for your nice sharing.It is really helpful.But i want to know that if you know any free trial from a barcode reader? Thanks a lot.

i think many resources have the free one