js321

movd(83) function

11 posts in this topic

Hi, I am working on modifing a ladder code which read and validate a barcode. However, the code doesn't have any documentation on it. I am new to PLC programming, but I know that the instruction code of the movd function contains 4 digits. For example: #ABCD, A is first souce digit, B is number of digit, C is first destination digit, D is not used. But in my PLC code, the some instruction codes only contain 1 or 3 digits. For example, #100, #1. I do not have a work simulator. I don't know what that is telling the PLC to do. Thanks.

In CX-Programmer, right click on an instruction > Instruction Help to find brief information what the instruction does, operands, memory areas etc. For detailed information download the Instruction manual reference manual. MOVD_083_.pdf

Yes, I have read the instruction. I understand that the control word requires 4 digit instruction (ie: #1030). But the code that I am modifying only has 1 or 3 digits, for example #100, #0. What does that mean (like where is first digit from the source, first digit from destination, how many digit it is moving, etc).

If the control word is #100, read it as #0100. If it is #0, read it as #0000 (all operands are 0). You don't have to set leading zeros in the control word. For instance #0 wil move the first digit of the source word, 1 digit "size" to the first digit in the destination word. By the way the 4th digit (most left) is not used.

Hey, I tried reading the Instruction help section. I still cannot understand the document. Would you be kind enough to maybe give one or 2 example(s) to help me understand this function a bit better.

Thank you :)

Here is my example: 

This is what the example does:

wMzu0Cj6z0PQwAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Here is the code to do that:

W0PjEqoTSJAAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

It gets more confusing when you start wrapping around with the digits, but for extracting a byte or a digit and moving it to another word (like above), it is pretty straight forward.

1 person likes this

13 hours ago, Michael Walsh said:

Here is my example: 

It gets more confusing when you start wrapping around with the digits, but for extracting a byte or a digit and moving it to another word (like above), it is pretty straight forward.

Thank you so much! I really understand the concept, and your program helped me understand the way I can program for my project.

On 5/12/2016 at 6:19 AM, Michael Walsh said:

Here is my example: 

Hello Sir, may I know how you get the destination results in "HEX" cuz I got the results in "&". 
Do I need to change the properties?
Thank you in advance.

Why don't you start a new topic? This thread is very old and unrelated to your issue.

Your result is whatever it is. You are viewing it in Decimal (&). From the 'View' menu, click 'Monitoring Data Type' then choose 'Monitor in Hex'. CX Programmer will then show your values in Hex (#).