Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mrclk

Panelview 1400E Upgrade to a panelview Plus

12 posts in this topic

What is the cable pinout used in order to talk to a panelview 1400e? I have panel builder 1400e on my laptop and the norm 9 pin serial conection on it. The panelview also has a 9 pin connector on it. Is this a regular serial connection? Do I need a null modem or a straight cable? Reading some of the posts, most everybody talks about a cable adaptor that goes from rs232 to 485 or 9 pin to 25 pin connection. Our panel view does not have the 25 pin connector, it only has a nine pin serial and a RIO connection. The catalog number on the panel view is 2711P-T12C6A1. We are looking into transfering the current program into a panelview plus 1250. I will definetly have more questions as we go along. Thanks in advance.

I've never seen a PanelView 1400e that had a 9-pin port; they have 25-pin ports. The part number you gave, 2711P-T12C6A1 is for a PanelView Plus 1250 with a DH+/RIO module. Those have an Ethernet port, an RS232 port, and two USB ports on the logic module. You need to precisely determine the part number of the terminal you're trying to upload from. It sounds to me that you are trying to copy an application from one PV+ to another PV+.

I looked for, and finded, that i can use a 2711-NC13; in the Automation library, i finded the pin-out. I have the similar situation, with a PView 1400E, with a dv9 port. Hope it help you. Ing. Isaias Frias Rguez.

Isaias, Do you have a picture or drawing of the cable pinout?

Got it! The cable to use is a straight thru serial 9 pin. Pins connected are 2,3 and 5 on both ends. I uploaded using the transfer utility serial com1 protocol. I have the application from the 1400E. Next I will have to migrate it to 1250 Plus. Does anybody have any ideas on how this is done? I have a few screens to migrate and we are using RIO communication to a PLC5. I know I have to use RSView Studio ME. But that's as far as I gotten.

Aha ! Thanks for posting that picture. I had never seen the Series F hardware before. Older PanelView "E" terminals did have a 25-pin serial port. I knew that the Series F hardware changed the main control board, but I didn't know it changed the serial port connector. General point of information: All PanelView terminals have DCE type serial ports, so you use a straight-through serial cable to connect them to A-B controllers or PCs. This is true of Classic, Enhanced, Standard, and PanelView Plus terminals. In my experience, the RIO interface to PV+ is complicated to use, especially when it comes to bit-array values and write-on-startup behavior. When I convert PVe to PV+, I always try to change communications to DH+ or Ethernet when I can. There are a couple of good Knowledgebase documents about this kind of configuration. Search with the keywords "RIO 2711P" and you will find, among others, Answer ID # 25775.

RSView ME has a Step by Step instructions on this migration path. I have compleyed 3 Migrations from this terminal to PV Plus. I continued using RIO communication because the PLC 5s didn't have Ethernet. Just needed to Import into 1400e software as existing PV was developed using old DOS software Imported straight into RSView ME and straightened all lines on screen Follow the RSView ME instructions

Here is what I got so far: I uploaded the PVD file from the 1400E terminal using panelbuilder 1400E. I then converted the .PVD file into an .PVC file by doing a Save As with PB 1400E. Then I tried to convert the file using RSViewStudio M.E. version 3.2. The file converted; however, the graphics were poor and about 120 object properties were not supported. I called Rockwell and they recommended that we upgraded our software to version 5.0 which better supports this type of migrations. So we did. We upgraded to Factory Talk View Studio version 5.0. Once again imported the PVC file and this time the graphics came out a little better. However, There were about 10 errors still showing on the import log. Keypads were converted into buttons and some of the bit tags were converted to memory tags etc.... WE decided to give it a go to see how the whole thing would look on the new screen and how it would act. Converted the APA file into a .mer file and tried to download into the touchscreen. Well the firmware in the touchscreen was 4.0 and I had imported the file with a version 5.0 so the screen would give us an incompatibility error. I tried to redo the runtime file this time choosing version 4.0 at the promp box. The system gave us another bunch of erros and it would not compile into a runtime file. So we had to update the firmware on the touchscreen. I downloaded the firmware from rockwell and installed it via ethernet using the ME Firmware Upgrade Wizard; I had to erase the runtime files in order to do the update whitout errors. With the firmware updated we were able to download the 5.0 Application. The application is now on the touchscreen; however, I cannot get the thing to communicate with the PLC. My Question is, How can I get the RIO communications properly configured? Update: Well, I ended up going back to version 3.2 on RSView Studio. I could not get the communications configuration to work on version 5.0. Everytime I clicked on the communication setup, and selected new, the computer would freeze up and that would be the end of it. Using version 3.2; the system generates a lot more errors most of them are graphical and can be edited on RS View. With this version however, I was able to get into the communication setup and import the XML file from the migration folder. All I had to do was create a short cut on for the PV to acces the local and target RIO configuration and named it PVRIO. Which is what their default for all their tag alliases is. The touchscreen still doesn't work. When I hook it up to the PLC it stays on the startup screen and does nothing. It will give a couple of comm errors at the beggining, as soon as I clear them, they go away and don't come back. The button that's supposed to take us to the main screen does nothing. Well it momentarily changes color but the screen doesn't change. We are hopping we don't have to send the application in to rockwell to get it changed. On a positive note, I have the rest of the year to get this thing to work! Edited by Mrclk

I read over much of what you did, but it struck me that you never said you went into the panel view plus setup screen on the PanelView Plus...There you need to setup the communication path .... Edited by jimdi4

As Jim said have you set up the Communication path and Imported the converted RIO Communications file from: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\HMI projects\"Project Name".XML

Well, what I did was create a shortcut for the touchscreen to go to the "Target" RIO configuration which contains the setup I imported from the old application. This file is called "project Name".xml and it contained the rack and the read and write transfer blocks. When adding a RIO driver it asks you to name the driver, define the jumper ID and Baud Rate. I matched these to the original application. I also had to change the controller type on properties from a 5/80 integral to a 5/40 integral which is what we have. I looked around the the terminal communication configuration and found the RIO driver. The only two options I have are Jumper ID and Baud Rate, which have already been setup on the .apa application I spoke to rockwell support and they mentioned that a very important thing to take into cosideration is the blue hose pinout on the 1250 plus. They said it could be different than the 1400e. Long and behold, the pinout is backwards between pins 2 and 3. The machine is running right now so I can't really test it to see if this will work. I will swap wires 2 and 3 on the blue hose and test it as soon as I have a chance.