Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gravitar

Best way to get one data value from CLX to PC over ENET

6 posts in this topic

This seems like it would be a really common question, and I apologize if it has been answered here before but I just can't seem to find what I need. What I've got is a CLX processor and an ENET module connected to a Versaview running XP and RSView. I need now to bring up graphic images on a second monitor, triggered by the CLX. I can do this pretty much however i want.. powerpoint was suggested, i'm thinking about just writing a VB program though. So heres my question.. what is the best/easiest/cheapest way to pull one integer (or 4-8 bits) from the CLX over the ethernet link? Does the version of Linx that RSView uses help me? Do I need to buy some other software? And as a secondary question, do you think it would be easier to automate the slide display in powerpoint, or am i better off just trying to write the thing myself?

Update: I searched through old messages and found where BobLFoot mentioned using an Automated Solutions Inc. OPC driver. I downloaded their 30-day trial of ASComm.NET, and lo-and-behold, I was reading integer values out of the PLC in minutes! Now all I need to do is strip out all the dialogue text from the sample application and graft it onto my qui8ck 'n dirty VB program. Thanks for the heads-up Bob!

Personally I use Kepware OPC, in his site there are a examples with vb. Hope it helps you. Ing. Isaias Frias Rodriguez

Rslinx with OPC

No Problem - caveat emptar on the Automated Solutions Driver it is great for small little projects, when you go to large data blocks it has some quirks about packet divisions and transfer order that can hang you up big time.

Well my project was the smallest of the small, and it worked out well. They've got real good tech support, without which a VB newbie like me surely would have failed!