Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Seth Sinclair

Slc500 eeprom

6 posts in this topic

My Xeltec Superpro Z Programmer Device list lists the Chip on my SLC500 Eeprom module, but, The chip is non removable and it appears that the Module is propriatary to AB.  Does anyone manufacture an adapter to put this module on my programmer or is the module part of the chip package and the adapter listed for the chip on the Xeltec website will interface the module and not just removed chips? Please contact me if you have an answer. seth.sinclair@avp.alcatel.com

If I remember rightly the SLC500 series Eeprom is written to whilst installed within the SLC500 by commands from the laptop, i've never heard of one being burned onto external to the PLC, but of course I may be wrong.

Ok,  well how can I copy an Eeprom using the SLC500 without the RSLinx or RSLogix?  Is it possible? I know I can copy the Basic board program back and forth using a basic teminal program and RS232.  As well as burn EEproms in the basic board.  Can i do the same with the Main Processor EEprom?

If you havn't got RSLogix how are you going to verify that the program is correct after it has been written to the Eeprom ?

You won't be able to perform EEPROM read or write operations without some kind of SLC-500 logic editor or an operator interface that supports those functions (like the DTAM+).   There's no console interface function for the SLC like there is for the BASIC module. Do you have a processor with a valid EEPROM and you're trying to duplicate it, or are you trying to get a program out of an unknown processor using the EEPROM ? If it's the first case, all you'll need is a re-adaptor to take the chip that's wrapped around the Molex carrier and let it be plugged into the ZIF socket on your programmer.   They're available from A-B;  part number 1747-M5 (for the old SLC-5/01 and /02 memory modules) and 1747-M15 (for the SLC-5/03 and newer memory modules).   Check the WWW.AB.COM/MANUALS for the user manual and maybe search with "SLC and EEPROM" on the support.rockwellautomation.com site. If it's the second case, you're spinning your wheels without getting the SLC-500 editor software.   Have somebody who knows the SLC well come in and do an upload and save for you.

More info that doesn't make sense to me but might to someone with a PROM programmer: "The format used when creating HEX files from the prom translator is INTEL INTELLEC 8/MDS for fixed, SLC 5/01, and 5/02. INTEL INTELLEC 8 /MCS-86 is used with SLC 5/03 and 5/04. "