Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
malc cope

Remote Access

6 posts in this topic

Hi All I am after some ideas & pointers about how I can connect remotely to a clients site and be able to monitor/diagnose the system. Basically the system comprises a CPU315-2 DP & 2 CPU314-2 DP all connected via profibus. The 315 has a CP343-1 which is connected to a scada system and the clients network. Ideally what I would like to connect via broadband in preference to modems and landlines. Thanks in anticipation

If you can load any of the commerically available remote softwares on their scada system (PC Anywhere ect...) you could take remote control of the main scada computer. This would require siemens S7 programming software to be also loaded on this PC so that you could use it to troubleshoot the system. You also could just have a PC loaded with Siemens programming software that is connected to the profibus and also the facility computer network. You could then just remotely access it to troubleshoot problems.

Thanks for reply, pretty much same as was thinking , was just wondering if there was any way with out having to purchase extra licenses.

Dial in, onto your clients network, is the most common method. To get access via broadband would mean access to their network via the internet. You would need to talk to the clients IT department (if they have one) to see if they have the capability and give you permission for either of these.

Thanks understand that is what we need to do regarding access to the network etc but where I also need guidance is in terms of hardware etc

V-P-N! On the client side it's about as simple as setting up a dial up connection. The secure tunnel goes over a shared network (Internet in this case) and it's as if you were on that local network. This means you can locally run your controls software, SCADA package, print, whatever. If you need to remote control a machine you'll use a different software package on top of the VPN. ie, MS Remote Desktop, Dameware, VNC, etc. I'm pretty sure you can use PC Anywhere over a TCP/IP connection as opposed to a modem as well. IT should be able to hook you up. If not, many home and other routers support VPN connections.