Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pro17

Connect to PLC through Dynamic IP

5 posts in this topic

I had this problem: - customer has PPPoE connection to his ISP - ISP doesn't provide static IP for the connection - I have PPPoE connection and static IP assigned (ie: 193.12.34.56) - PLC has ethernet module - CX-.... (Supervisor, Programmer) doesn't allow using URL like "myomronplc.com" as the ethernet address for a PLC (you have to set an IP address - something like "192.168.2.2") The way I overcome this problem: - I connected PLC to the router in local lan (ie: router 192.168.2.1, plc: 192.168.2.2) - I created a host name within dyndns.com services (ie: myomronplc.dyndns.info), seting it as "host my IP" (where IP is current dynamic IP of customers router) - this service is FREE and I also believe its very reliable - set up router to use Dynamic services provided from DynDns (most routers have this option). Just type in account information, password and provider (ie: DynDns.org) - this data is from your dyndns account! Now your router is taking care of giving the right IP to the dyndns service provider (ie: your domain myomronplc.dyndns.info has different IP address every day, but dyndns.org now knows this address as it changes!) - set up PLC to use routing table - setting my static IP (ie: 193.12.34.56) But CX-Supervisor or CX-Programmer needs an IP set in PLC configuration, not URL, right? So I installed PassPort service in my local machine. What it does? It simply provides port forwarding. - now setup your passport service to use port forwarding from 127.0.0.1:9600 to myomronplc.dyndns.info:9600 (you can have diferent local ports of your machine forwarded to port 9600 PLC is using - so you can connect many PLCs on different locations with dynamic IPs) - of yourse the only thing you have to do is setup PLC address in your CX-P or CX-S. Just use your localhost address - 127.0.0.1 and the port you specified - 9600 as your source port. - connect! Both DynDNS and PassPort are FREE OF CHARGE. link to DynDNS: http://www.dyndns.com/ link to passport: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pjs-passport/ Best regards, Jinx

Wow that's excellent information Very clever!

Thank you for sharing. I have tested successful with Ethernet(FINS/TCP) but not work with Ethernet. Have anyone tested with Ethernet/IP?

apologies to bring out an old thread. I tried the suggestion given in the initial post, so: - set up a Dyndns domain and enable the router support; - install Passport and set up the port forwarding through localhost; but without success. The point that escapes me is the setting up the PLC to routing table. Currently i set up the routing table in ETN21 to 0.0.0.0->my router internal LAN gateway, so any incoming request should be redirected straight on the connected PLC. I tried already with success communicating with the same PLC by giving in my CX-P the WAN address of my router, but using dyndns setup should avoid the need to get this address beforehand, and this is the scope of the whole topic. What should i look that i could have forgot or overlooked?