Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
David Nelson

Red Lion G310

6 posts in this topic

Hello All, I recently had the chance to get a red lion g310 touch screen . seems to have a wealth of potiential. We will be attempting to hook to allen bradley dh+ or dh485. any one have any thoughts, experiences, or tips. please share. thanks, david

You can do DH-485 over either RS-232 or RS-485 as the G3 has both ports. DH+ is not a direct option for the G3

I've used the smaller G308 as an HMI for a Mitsubishi FX2N running a 1MW hydro station. I was very impressed by its flexibility - its programming software is both free and very intuitive. We're just about to install one in a system reading data from a ControlLogix PLC, with a bidirectional link to a Siemens control system using Modbus. I reckon this will be easier to set up than using the ProSoft Modbus card in the ControlLogix. I think TWControls is correct when he says it doesn't support DH+, but DH485 and DF1 are both available (as is Native Tag Addressing over Ethernet). The one issue I did have was failing to get Ethernet comms working to my laptop. I was trying to puzzle this out when someone closed the cabinet door on the wire and pulled it tight - comms started immediately! It turns out the Ethernet port used a cheap connector and some of the contacts had been squashed flat.

David, Yes, the G3 will communicate via DH485, but not DH+. If you are using a SLC or AIC module, make sure that you follow this cable diagram: http://www.redlion.net/Support/Cable/CBLAB003.pdf Also make sure that the correct side of the cable is plugged into the correct device, otherwise you run the risk of damaging one of both units. Al, It sounds like someone tried plugging in an RJ12 or 11 connector into the Ethernet port. I have seen this on the Ethernet and RS485 ports, as the ends of the RJ12 are longer than the pins, to they end up bending the pins on the female plug. Regards, Dan

Thanks for the info. i will update on my experience with the g310. as of now it seems for the money this is going to be a hard unit to beat

It is a hard unit to beat, i have done G3's with SLC's, FX2N's, S7's, SSD Drives and PAX Meters all performed very well. Only thing i would say is i did a job with a G3 on DH485 to a 5/04, the 5/04 was on a DH+ network as well and i did notice that the G3's update was kinda sluggish (couple of seconds or so) and i put this down to the 5/04 and DH+ network as when the DH+ was not connected the sluggish 485 connection went away. Edited by 504bloke