Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brisutterfield

PLC5 w/ wireless adapter on channel 2

6 posts in this topic

I am trying to connect to a PLC540-E using a wireless adapter on channel 2. I have RSLinx professional and my computer has a linksys wireless router. I can connect through the DH so I can configure channel 2. I can also connect through channel 2 directly but not using the wirelss adapter. I dont know much about networking and was hopping someone could help me make the connection.

Quick guess, the router is trying to assign an I/P address to the PLC via DHCP, something in the 192.xxx.xxx.xxx range. Disable DHCP in the router.

Post some important architectural information: 1. What brand and model of Wireless Adapter do you have plugged into the PLC-5E ? Can you describe how you have configured it ? 2. What model of Linksys router are you using ? It probably combines the functions of Router and Wireless Access Point. 3. Is your router also connected to the Internet ? 4. Are you using Ethernet cable to connect your PC to the Linksys Router, or are you using a WiFi adapter in your PC to connect to the Linksys Router. 5. What is the IP address of your computer ? Trying sending a PING command to an address that is one node lower and one node higher than your computer. 6. Is anything else (printers, other PC's, other PLCs) connected to this Linksys Router ?

Thats only 6 questions, you need 14 more.

1. What brand and model of Wireless Adapter do you have plugged into the PLC-5E ? Can you describe how you have configured it ? Microsoft broadband networking wireless adapter. 802.11g 2. What model of Linksys router are you using ? It probably combines the functions of Router and Wireless Access Point. Linksys Wireless G 2.4 GHz 3. Is your router also connected to the Internet ? Yes 4. Are you using Ethernet cable to connect your PC to the Linksys Router, or are you using a WiFi adapter in your PC to connect to the Linksys Router. I am using an ethernet cable to connect PC to Router. 5. What is the IP address of your computer ? Trying sending a PING command to an address that is one node lower and one node higher than your computer. 192.168.1.101 6. Is anything else (printers, other PC's, other PLCs) connected to this Linksys Router ? My TIVO box is connected also to the wireless router. 192.168.1.116

It would help if you have more information about each of these devices. The Microsoft adapter, for example: what is it's part number ? Do you know where to find an online manual ? Have you done any configuration for this device, or just plugged it in ? 802.11g networks, also called WiFi, require a little bit of setup. You need to configure the Microsoft Adapter to connect to the wireless network name that the Linksys router is using. Linksys has made dozens of wireless routers over the years. Please post the actual part number of yours.