Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scott E.

CS1 to VB via ethernet data format?

4 posts in this topic

I am creating a Visual Basic application that will need to receive data from an Omron CS1G processor via an ETN21 card. I have several options to getting this data out of the processor. I have converted the data to ASCII and packed it together in a CSV format. I can use the function CMND(490) to have the PLC send the data, I can use the function blocks (_ETN001-4), or I can use fins commands to have the VB read the data from the processor. I have seen the programming example for the fins commands and it looks like the data is transfered from the PLC to VB in byte format, not as a string. Do the other two options (cmnd and function block) also transmit data in a byte format also? Unfortunately, I do not have the hardware available to test with, I will have to program before I actually hook up. Thanks for your assistance. Scott E.

I would use PMCR. If u need some data from PLC. Then all other things u need to do with VB are acctualy basic things. U can set data output in format u would like all u need then is read string header and terminator good to do it with pattern matching. I have done something like that but i used comm port comunication.

just use the CX-lite Active-X plugin or DDE. Instead of having the PLC send it to the PC, have the PC polling the PLC. This is much easier and doesn't require any programming at PLC side. Another possibility is just logging it to flash card with "fwrite" and getting the data when you need it by FTP. This is already in ASCII but you'll need to program in the PLC

I concur with beegee.... it seems that all you are doing is collating the data in a CSV format... if this for logging etc... then simply do as beegee suggested and add a compact flash card to the processor if you havn;t already and use a free FTP client to retrieve the data (or write you own in VB).... there is an example how to write to the compact flash card ion the omron down load section.... Or if you simply want to write a VB that polls data out of the plc then also have a look in the omron download section for a sample program, already written in VB.