Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Blast

need help with usb to serial converter

14 posts in this topic

I am using CPM1A PLC and my laptop, using Winxp do not have a serial port so i got a converter, but i can't transfer my program to the PLC with my CX programmer. Is there any way to make it work?? need any changes to the cable part? Btw, I can transfer program using the lab computer using RS232.

I have had this problem also. Some USB-RS232 converters dont always seem to work. The cheaper the converter the more chance of this. Omron have a USB-RS232 converter which may solve your problem. Consult your omron rep for more info. I believe the part number is CS1W-CIF31

so u mean if i use omron cable the chance of transferring the data is higher?

I don't thing so because i buy the usb cable from normal computer shop, and the configuration same as Blast, it work find for the both syswin and cx, is that posible u didn't install the driver or some configuration u didn't fine tuning? :-p

i am using winxp and my config for the com is baud 9600 data bit is 7 then parity even and stop bit is 2.. this is both for the com and plc.. is it the same?

... i used a serial cable and it works.. but not that Bafo USB to serial cable.. i still wondering y.. might get from omron the cable to try..

The CS1W-CIF31 USB converter from Omron should work fine for your application.

I also run XP and have had no problems with USB-RS232 converters. I have used with CX-programmer, Syswin34, NTST and NS designer. However, we have used the same converter on the same model laptop but with different chip ie I use intel other had AMD and we tried everything and it wouldnt work. I think it is hit and miss with these devices. The units that are guaranteed to work typically cost more.

We purchased the CS1W-CIF31 adaptor and can use it on a CS1 plc. We were having problems with communication to touchscreens. ( omron nt620 ) Will be trying that next...

I use WinXP and sometimes my cable doesn't work but i simple change the USB Port and the problem is solved...

Ya I have the same problem, and normaly by changing the port it works I dont know why. You can do this if you go to controlpanel/system/devices/ then open up the usb device you are using and then go to advanced propertys

I had all sorts of problems with USB/232 converters until I bought the Omron one. Using XP on a HP laptop. Problems have now gone away, even with AB. Spend the money and buy the thing or buy a laptop with a real serial port. HP have some nice laptops on special in Ozz with real serial ports. Seems a lot of laptop manufacturers are learning the lesson that real serial ports are still needed.

However it is important to take more care when working with a real serial port on a lap top. It costs more expensive to restore if you burn your serial port.