Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vanilla_gorilla

1756-ENBT/A

8 posts in this topic

2 Chassis on my "local" network #1 with a 5555 and ENBT, #2 with 5561 AND ENBT Both connected to the same hub. I can connect via ethernet to # 1, I can only connect to #2 via DF1 Linx sees #2 as 1756-ENBT, UNRECOGNISED DEVICE All Subnet and gateway info is the same for both Both have different ip adresses (and scrolling the ip on the module) When looking at both module configurations in 5000, everything is the same except :- #2 is a different rev (4 vs 1) and in the module info tab, #2 under INTERNAL STATE give UNCONNECTED where as #1 (the one that I can connect to via ethernet) says RUN MODE as the internal state... I can't for the life of me access #2 via ethernet and I'm not sure what else to try Can someone enlighten me ? Cheers Edited by vanilla_gorilla

Clarify it is ENET or ENBT

Both modules are 1756-ENBT. I took the liberty of shortening "ethernet" by using ENET and obviously caused some confusion.

Make sure you have the latest EDS for the higher rev. Then you should be able to configure the module using RSLinx

Does the unrecognised device have a yellow question mark by it or a yellow question mark with a red X? Can you ping it? I'm going to guess your version of RsLinx doesn't have the proper EDS files for the newer firmware, the one that you can't view is revision 4, right? http://www.ab.com/networks/eds.html

Yep, I can ping it and get a reply. I downloaded the Rev4 EDS, still no joy. Comes up with a yellow question mark, seems to identify as a 1756-ENBT but still has unrecognised device. Even after downloading the latest EDS when I connect via DF1 in the module properties window I still get internal state unconnected in the module info tab... Any ideas ? (Is there a specific way to "register" the new EDS or just dumping it into the EDS folder should suffice ?

Once you download the EDS file, you need to register it with the Hardware Installation Tool. Programs -> Rockwell Software -> RSLinx -> Tools -> EDS Hardware Installation Tool Very important: When you run the Hardware Installation Tool, do not have the EDS file already located in the RSCommon\EDS folder. Running the registration routine with the source EDS file already in the \EDS directory will corrupt the Registry for all EDS files. RSLinx 2.51 and the 1756-ENBT v4 module have a right-click feature in RSWho that automatically uploads the EDS file from the module and runs the installation tool.

I'm glad to say that this was the fix, maybe in my stupidity or old age I dont recall having to register a devide with the EDS hardware tool, maybe Ive hust been lucky !! Thx to all