Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cherdaplc

Devicent Mapping

24 posts in this topic

I'm new at control logics and I'm wondering how you can tell what tag is input or output so and so is there a place in the rslogics to find this.

I assume you are referring to aliased tags. If you right click and do a cross reference, you can see all the places a tag is use, and what the base tag is. You can then determine if the base tag is an output or input, or internal.

In Controllogix the tags which are automatically created when input and output modules are assigned all have the word "Local" with the slot number. Open a project, or create a project and assign input and output modules, then look through the "controller' tag listing. The 'aliased' tags which Ken is referring to are alternate names which are created and assigned as pointing to one of the "local" inputs or outputs. These aliases can make creating and troubleshooting a program much easier.

So you can know what slot # the tag comes from but not what input # or output #?

If, for example, you have configured an 8 Channel Analog Input card (1756 IF8) in slot #1, the tag would look like: Local:1:I. Here local refers to local chassis, 1 to slot # and I to input. On expanding this tag, the data tags can be found there (ex. Local:1:I.Ch0Data). Also, on creation of an I/O module in RSLogix5000, the default description appears. This can also help in identifying the card type and the no of channels. In our example, it is AB:1756_IF8_Float:I:0. Edited by Mandar

I still have not beenable to find this local type. If I have safty IO on devicenet and I have node 9 and bit input 2 what will the tag read?

Can you post your .acd file?

Oh so your looking for where a networked I/O point is mapped into the Controllogix? Along with your ACD file your should have a dnt file for RsNetworks. This contains the Devicenet I/O mapping

I attached the file. I would like to know how the i/o is is attached to a tag name.So if I see I don't have an input how do I know what tag that is? Thanks for the help

The attachment didn't post

Nope Zip the file and make sure you press the "Add This Attachment" to the right of the browse button

double click on 'controller tags' in your organizer window in rs5000. then click on the tab 'edit tags' on the bottom of the tag screen. there should be a column labeled 'base tag' that will tell you what io point it is. local:x:s.data[xx] = status localx:o.data[xx] = output local:x:i.data[xx] = input also, the i/o may be buffered. look under your main task in your organizer window and try to find i/o buffering. all that does is read in i/o from the card and reads it to a tag name. this is done so that a value for an i/o point does not change part way into a scan, therefore making the plc use 2 different values for computations in 1 scan. you want the same value for 1 full scan.

It looks like were dealing with networked I/O coming from a 1756-DNB. You won't find that node 9 byte 0 bit 2 is mapped to Local:X.I.Data[4].7 in the RsLogix 5000 ACD file. It will only be in the dnt file as far as I know

If it is a Safety IO on DeviceNet and your using V16 RSLogix5000 the I/O is not defined in the DeviceeNet Module and not loaded in to the Scanners Input and Output mapping. Safety I/O should be defined in RSLogix I/O Configuration Tree. What ever name you define the Safety I/O in the tree will be the name in the controller tag. In the attached pic shows I have named the first safety i/o as MCC_SF1 My first Input for this is : MCC_SF1:I.Pt00Data My first Output is : MCC_SF1:O.Pt00Data

Wow, I didn't know that. Haven't used any Safety I/O yet. Thanks

On the same DeviceNet I have Flex I/O and this is loaded into the DeviceNet scanner and not defined in the RSLogix5000 I/O Tree. Just a little more information

I don't understand the mapping in control locgix. How does the inputs and output get to the controller? The Device net card goes out and gets each device on the net? Is there a drawing some where where you can see how this works?

I merged your two topics together since they build on each other. This way the same questions are not asked again. Can you post your ACD and DNT files if you have them?

I will ask a question cherdaplc: Do you see your safety IO declared in the RSLogix5000 I/O tree under your DeviceNet 1756-DNB module?

The Safety I/O must be loaded into the DeviceNet Module 1756-DNB Find this module in your I/O Configuration My picture in previous post shows the module in slot 3 Find yours and substitute my 3 with your slot number In controller tags find: Local:3:I.Data[0].0 for Outputs Local:3:O.Data[0].0 for Inputs Now the tricky part. The I/O is allocated to these addresses by RSNetWorx program which is a seperate program. I will not be describing how to run this program as you can wreak havoc with the network if done wrong. But if you look into the DeviceNet module properties and click on RSNetWorx tab, you should find the location/name of the off line file. You can open this file off line to find the I/O mapping. Or you can try building up a spreadsheet using the ladder logix to work out the mapping