Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mracer

scl5/04 onto Ethernet/IP?

10 posts in this topic

I need to get a SLC 5/04 and a Panelview 900 onto our Ethernet/IP system so that I can set up some data logging. I have found the module made by Prosoft, the MVI46-DFNT. I've down loaded the information off of there web site and skimmed through it but it's a over my experience level. Has anyone use one of these and if so how much of a problem is it to get running? My other option is to change out the prosesser and the panelview to a SLC5/05 and a Panelview 1000 with the Ethernet/IP built in. Racer Edited by mracer

We use a 4 slot control logix rack with a 1756-ENBT card and a 1756-DHRIO card in it to form an Ethernet to DH+ bridge. No processor is necessary in the rack. Edited by Alaric

You did not give the model number of the PV but you may be able to use an NET-ENI. We use the control logix gateways in our shop for all DH+ to IP.

http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/12762/2...5175/print.html

JAK, The PV is a 2711-T9C8X. I guess the question I should also ask is, how is ProSofts tech support? If I'm going to try this am I going to be able to find someone to walk me through the process of getting it running? thanks for the feed back. Racer

IMHO ProSoft tech support is outstanding. I've used several of Modbus modules, and have always gotten good support. Ken

LOOK AT AB KNOWLEDGE BASE FOR # 13377 OR G13406. THIS MAY HELP YOU WITH DIRECTION. IF MY MEMORY SERVES ME CORRECTLY 9" SCREENS ARE GOING OBSOLETE. VERIFY WITH YOUR LOCAL AB REP. ENI SETUP IS STRAIT FORWARD. IF YOU NEED HELP JUST POST A REQUEST I AM SURE SOMEBODY WILL OFFER THERE ADVICE

It may be less work and money just to upgrade your PLC to a 5/05. Giz

If I change the Processor out to the 5/05 W/ Ethernet/IP, I would need to change the Panelview also. Right? the 5/05 is around $5000, the Panelview 1000 would be around $3500. The card from Prosoft is about $2000. Is the cut-out for the 900 and the 1000 the same size? Seems to me, If the card would work, that would be the most cost effective way to go. I have an integrator I work with the isn't a fan of the NETENI cards. Told me not to use them if I don't have to. He's out of the country right now so I can't ask him, or I should say he hasn't gotten back to me. racer

Took a quick look at the Prosoft module, it appears to work like the modbus unit. You have to create ladder logic that reads and writes data to the prosoft card via the backplane, then external devices read and write to the module via ethernet/IP. I've never used one, but you might want to look at: http://www.protocolconverter.com/products/dl3000dhIAP.html