Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John Parker

Dash Numbers

8 posts in this topic

I am installing a batch weighing system using a SLC 5/04 and a Panelview Keypad 600 2711-K6C8. The problem I am having is that I need the operators to enter an 11 digit and 7 digit product number and job number with dashes, making the 11 digits ##-####-####-# and the 7 digits ##-####-#. Is there any way I can do this from the pv to the SLC and vice/versa with the hardware I have? Thanks in advance any help will be appreciated.

Assign each grouping to a tag in your plc. ## first tag #### second tag. Program logic to take the tags and create the correct 11 or 7 digit number. That way the operator sees ##-####-####-# on the PV and your plc program can assembly the correct number. If you have to have the dashes on the display. An akward way to address it but it should not be difficult to do.

I can do that but would that mean I have to use a numeric entry keypad enable for each field? Or can I actually split a numerical entry into several different groups?

Under the system above you would have to use individual numeric entry for each item ## would be one #### another. You could have the operator enter the data all as one entry into a numeric entry example 7777777 then you could separate the data based on this entry and place it on the display in the correct format ##-####-#

How would i seperate them if they are entered in as one number. I guess I am going to have to use a floating point for the 11 digit number. But i could use an integer value for the 7 digit but then how would i split them in the program?

Instead of using integer, use string. I have yet to try this, but I think it is possible.

If you use string entry you have two problems: 1. The operator may enter non-digit characters (besides the dash) 2. The PLC program, to use any information numerically, would have to break up and interpret the string. I think having seperate numeric entry fields, seperated visually on the display by dashes, would help the operators enter the value correctly. Once all the fields are modified the operator can press a seperate "Enter" control. An alternative would be to work with the entries when the final group is entered. Either way you have assured numeric information. Since the dashes are constant, why bother the operator to enter them? The PLC and display have pleanty of power to combine the entered fields as necessary and display them in a combined string fashion.

Use multipule numeric displays overlapping in a staggered layout with Text box with the dashs. If the backgrounds are the same colour you would get the desired effect. This way you would have one numeric input box that the whole number can be entered into First numeric display box can show the whole number, then a text box with the dash with spaces before and after, then the next numeric display box, arrange to the front. Expression would have to be (Tag - 4) / 10 This would drop off the first digit and stop any round up. and so on. Not pretty to set up but once done can be made to look effective. Cheers