Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
justwhy2003

Ultra sonic Level Measeurement

9 posts in this topic

Hi Can anyone reccommend a competitively priced Ultrasonic level transducer that will give an analog input to my PLC (4-20mA, 0-10v, 0-5v). Any help appreciated Juswhy2003

Before we go there, what are you trying to sense? Nice clear liquid? Something that foams or puts off a lot of gases?

Its for sensing the level of waste water

Hi justwhy2003, You do not specify the sensing range. I have used this sensor: RPS- 401A-40 look at http://www.migatron.com/ to sense distance to a metal target. I believe it could be used also for liquid level measurement. It has standard adjustable range and reversible current and voltage analogue outputs. Sensing distance up to 40”, but they have sensor for up to 80” as well.

Sorry, the range is up to 10 metres in a pumping sump.

If this is a typical waste water application then you are likely to encounter foaming and/or floating solids which will be a major problem for an ultrasonic instrument. I would look at a guided radar sensor which will be much more reliable. I use Endress and Hauser and they are very reliable and easy to setup. Andybr

10 meters is too far for an ultrasonic sensor I've ever seen. You might want to consider a photo-based distance sensor? What kind of resolution do you need?

Siemens (former Milltronics) has a great line of products. The range goes to at least 60 meters of some models. Very common in the wastewater industry in this neck of the woods.

I would recommend Siemens (Milltronics) or MJK Shuttle. http://www.mjk.com/index.php?id=1065 Bryce