Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kcor

omron plc through ethernet and company vpn

6 posts in this topic

have a guestion that i hope someone can help me with. Have a machine in a plant in honduras, that i got a copy of the program from about 6 months ago by email. The plc has been connected to our internet and i can ping it from here in the us, by pinging the ip of the plc. my question is , could someone explain how I can connect to the plc going through our company vpn, which is what i go through when i ping the plc. I will try to attach a copy of the program, which is probably not correct anymore, since the italian enginners have been doing some changes, but all i have at the moment. One thing i notice is that i open and look at the ethernet module, there is no info in the ip address section. I tried typing in the ip address that i used to ping with, but when i selected connect to plc, it gave a error that port does not exit, change in plc dialog, or plc setup. any advice, or if there is omron quick sheet that explains how to connect to a omron plc through the ethernet port over a network, such as a company vpn system would be greatly appreciated. thanks Biologico_finale.cxp

I am confused that I think it is a low probability that your PLC is directly connected to Internet; perhaps you are pinging a server in Internet network having the same IP address I can connect to the PLCs in my fact?ory from anywhere in world with the following structure: 1-There is a computer in company's network having all necessary OMRON software on it, and this computer can reach PLCs in factory. 2- We have a VPN server; I can connect to our companies network over VPN 3 - With remote desktop connection, I connect to the computer I have mentioned, then control PLC. For an alternative of VPN, you can use Hamachi, but it is a little bit slower. One another way is; directing all UDP packets on port 9600 to your plc with NAT settings on your companies server, but this is a little bit tricky operation. Best regards,

After reading several times, I have catched something. On VPN connection, there there should not be a need for port forwarding I am suspicios about companies firewall, it may be blocking port 9600 also (As our companies do; that's why I use a remote desktop connection; only remote desktop port and web server ports [80] are open) Consider checking your firewall settings in your company. By the way, many thanks for the document PDL, it is a great reference. Edited by moosty

IP doesn't have to be set in the ETN setup It can be set in DM30000 + (unit number * 100), (the unit setup area), +98 and +99 Each byte of the words contains an octet of the IP address Not that helps with the immediate problem but it is useful to know, especially when your customer doesn't know where on their network they want to put it.

thanks for help the file i uploaded is all i have at the moment. there is a tech from our group at the plant, and he was with the engineer when he connected to the plc at the control panel through the ethernet, and from another location in the plant when he did it by connecting into our network through vpn, and then go online with the plc with cx. problem was they could not connect from the motel in honduras. I was able to ping it from my motel here in arkansas this morning, so there is a problem at the motel they are in. Pdl - thanks for the file, have been going through our vpn for about a year now and connecting to the allen bradley plc's in this plant, but this is the first omron system. I am just not as familiar with how to connect to the omron this way through our vpn and the internet. will read the file you posted many times, thanks.