Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gawie

RS485 Communications between CJ1 and NS5 (CPM2C and NT31)

11 posts in this topic

Hi Guys I have a Omron PLC(CJ21) and HMI(NS5), I now need to move the HMI to another location (Roughly 50 metres away) I am trying to use two moxa (A53) RS232 - 422/485 converter to no avail, anyone able to assist me as I am not sure what the pin outs should be!!! Regards Gawie

Try to Get a RS232 to RS485/422 converter (Advantech Adam 4520). http://www.advantech.com/products/search.a...words=adam+4520. Either U convert to RS232 to 485 and then from 485 to RS232 or RS232 to 422 and then to RS232 You must buy 2 unit of ADAM4520

What is your current pin out ... ? (PLC -> MOXA -> MOXA -> HMI) Nibroc

HMI to Moxa Moxa to PLC 3 ----> 3 3 --- > 2 2 ----> 2 2 ----> 3 1 ----> 1 1 ----> 1 4- - 4 I I 5- - 5 7---->5 5 ---> 7 9---->5 5 ---> 7 Try as I might I can't get any joy Regards

In the past I have tried to get one of these A53 going but I ended up with Westermo MD45. Anyway you could give it a try. If I look at the A53 pinouts and yours, it looks like you might be reading the manual upside down ? It doesn't look like anything... I would connect them like this. Perhaps you need to hard wire CTS/RTS to the moxas. For the 485 cable, use screened twisted pair cable. A52_A53_Manual_5th.pdf

Hi Thanks for that, I have done tried out those cable pinouts you listed to no avail! I have discovered however that the PLC is a CPM2 and the Screen is a NT5! are the pinouts still the same? Any other help woulld be gladly aqppreciated. Regards Gawie

CMP2.... A ? .. B ? ... C ? NT5 ? think you mean NS5 ? Or NT15-S ? Using any peripheral adapter by any chance ? CPM2C1-CIF21? CS1W-CN118? CPU / adapter dispswitch settings ? The better information you provide, the better we can help you ...

Morning 100% correct ... I have been pretty scarce on the information. I'm at the tip of Africa nad the Device Ideally suited for my application is 4-6 weeks delivery ex Europe ! I have a CPM2C-S100-DRT PLC (with Devicenet for another application) connected to two NT31 Touch Screens using a CIF01 Module. (The RS485 version of this module is not available 4-6 weeks delivery) Situated in the Galley of Ship is the PLC and one of the Touch Screens. The other is situated at the Stern of the Ship which is over 50 metres away. When the Installation was done they could not get the Remote Touch screen to work - to far away for RS232. This is where I stand at present ... ADAMs units are available ex Johannesburg 2-3 days delievry and I have successfully used Moxa for many applications in the past! Are you susre that the pinouts you gave me yesterday are correct ? I connected the cables without the moxa in line and it does not communicate! Is that correct? Thank you very much for your assistance so far, it is really appreciated Regards Gawie

Pinouts of CIF-01 is the same as above, so are the pinouts of NT31 RS232 port. You realise you have mentioned 3 types of screens already !? Perhaps you should get some fresh air on deck But I think you are trying to get something to work that can't be done. At present you have one NT31 in the Galley connected to the CIF-01 by RS232C, and you want to tie in between a second NT31 50 metres to the stern with 2 RS converters? You cannot use RS232C for multidrop networks. NT31 can be connected directly to RS422/485. I suggest you get an NT-AL001 and setup the CIF-01 RS-232C port for NT Link 1:N.

I have the touch screen and PLC on my work bench .... At Present there are three winch systems in operation, all three work the same i.e. Two screens per PLC - Two systems work as the HMI's and very close to the PLC, the third not as the distance is to far! Regards jonathan

How are the two screens of the "working" systems connected ? I would really go for the NT-AL001. It is the easiest way and guaranteed to work.