Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobLfoot

RSView Machine Edition Newbie Question

15 posts in this topic

I am starting my first RSVIEW Machine Edition Application for a PV Plus 700. The manual for setting up communication is less than crystal clear so I am asking the more experienced RSVie users if I am getting this right or wrong. This is my RSLnx Enterprise Setup for the Master PLC. And this is the Definiton for a data point within the PLC 5/80 It will be a day or three more before I can load the display and test this setup. Comments Please?

the address should be ::[bREAD]T4:35.ACC the symbol "::" should be added before the shortcut for classic adderss used for SLC,PLC & micrologix series Edited by rpraveenkum

The data type should be set to INTEGER or DEFAULT Long Integer is incorrect for a PLC5

Import the tag from RSP to RSview ME http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/cgi...amp;p_topview=1

It's a little annoying but when you go to put it on the actual PV+, watch out for the "local" and "target" tabs in the box. You have to set these correctly. Second, there's an easy way to tell if Enterprise is configured correctly. When you go to put in a tag, click the little icon to the right of the spot where the "definition" goes. Browse around. You will know you are in the right place because you'll see a "System" folder with all the PV+ internal tags in it, along with one entry for each of the processor definitions you put into Enterprise. When you bring up the processor tag, you should clearly see an "online" and "offline" folder. When you browse into the "online" folder if it's working correctly, you'll see your data tables (I:xx, O:xx, S:xx, B3:xx, etc., etc.). In a Contrologix machine, you'll see the actual symbol names instead of the "raw" ones. Supposedly there's a way to link an RSP file to make the symbol/tag names show up for SLC's and PLC5, but I never figured out a way to make it work. If you select your tags that way, you will get the syntax correct every time since it is auto-generating it.

The "definition" I was referring to is the three dots (...) to the right of where you have the tag defined. If you can't browse to create the tag, your Enterprise settings need some work. Second item I noticed echoing the previous comment about "long integer" vs. "integer". The range on AB timer accumulators and presets is 0 to 32767, NOT 65536, two's complement standard 16 bit integer. There are two issues. First, AB stupidly treats this as a SIGNED 16 bit two's complement number. You are allowed to put in negative numbers for timers, but the processor faults when you attempt to execute the instruction! Since you can't ever use it, the sign bit must always be a zero (positive numbers only), cutting the available range for a timer in half. Note that it may be possible to put a negative number into the accumulator on an active timer, effectively extending the range, but I haven't tried it and I can't think of any really useful reasons for doing so. I just had this bite me a couple weeks ago and shut down a large furnace. There was a calculation in there that worked for over a year without a hitch. There's a calculation that was done based on the speed of a drive in the furnace. The drive speed range is 1-250 (scaled to chain dogs per hour). It normally never runs any slower than 30. The timer calculation is essentially 360,000 / speed. So if the drive speed is 6 through 10, it would calculate a value between 32768 and 65535, which the timer interprets as a negative number. On the day everything crashed, the chain was "jerking", causing the drive fits during startup. It took a couple incidents but eventually, the drive managed to generate a speed in the magic range. I'm normally very careful to always put plenty of LIM instructions in front of PID loop settings, timer presets, and divide instructions. This goes double for anything that an operator can input (operators are notorious for "fat finger" errors and "lunch break" errors). But I missed this little tiny window and it faulted the processor. The second issue is that even if this was an unsigned number, you still can't use a range of 0 to 65536. 65536 = 2^16. Which in binary is 10000000000000000. If you carefully count out the zeroes, there are 16 of them...making this a 17 bit number. The maximum unsigned 16 bit number that you can have is 2^16-1, or 65535, which is 1111111111111111 (16 ones). Just my 10 cents.

Good catch Gerry - I wasn't watching what I was doing and have been playing with CLGX a lot lately. Made the correction when I added Praveen's ::.

Just Tried to do the rsp import and it failed all five times. Next used RS5 to export and EAS and import this. This appeared to be working until I hit an error for max tags exceed 5000. The target progam is a PLC 5/80 with 96 free bytes of memory and would ahve been 22000 tags if the import was successful. Guess I'll enter the ones I need by hand. Now I am having problems getting rsstudio to open since the failed import hope I can clear it all up. EDIT :: EDIT Well it is 30 minutes after the failed import and the whole thing is recovered and back to where I started. Has gotten me to thinking - how do I archive a project at a given level of progress as a backup? A backup before import would ahve saved me a nightmare.

Read through the post, some great tips. I have but a few PV+ in using RS Machine. If your dealing with the communications, the one item mentioned worth watching for is the local and target. Make sure you get the target setup. If your using a PLC 5, as noted in the postings you will have to deal with import/export from RSlogix5 then bring the tags into the application. You can test the communications by writing the app over to the PV+ then just using the setup screen on the PV+ to view and make sure it is setup as your target settings. Regards,

You can create an archive at any time by selecting the "Application Manager" from the menus. Only catch is, it won't overwrite, so each time you save to an archive you have to give the file a different name. And when you're finished with RSView Studio and want to recover CPU resources on your PC run these commands in a batch file. net stop "RSLinx Enterprise" net stop "Rockwell Tag Server" net stop "Rockwell HMI Diagnostics" net stop "Rockwell HMI Activity Logger" net stop "Rockwell Directory Server" net stop "Rockwell Event Multiplexer" net stop "Rockwell Directory Multiplexer" net stop "Rockwell Event Server" net stop "Rockwell Application Services" sometimes need to run it twice. Actually, if you haven't modified services since installing Studio, you may want to run it after boot....or modify all the above to only start on demand.

And when you're finished with RSView Studio and want to recover CPU resources on your PC run these commands in a batch file. net stop "RSLinx Enterprise" net stop "Rockwell Tag Server" net stop "Rockwell HMI Diagnostics" net stop "Rockwell HMI Activity Logger" net stop "Rockwell Directory Server" net stop "Rockwell Event Multiplexer" net stop "Rockwell Directory Multiplexer" net stop "Rockwell Event Server" net stop "Rockwell Application Services" sometimes need to run it twice. Actually, if you haven't modified services since installing Studio, you may want to run it after boot....or modify all the above to only start on demand. WOW - created this as a batch and ran it after boot - what an eye opener. I did not see an on demand option but there was a manual option. Is that what you meant.

Yes, manual start - means that those services are started when you start up Studio. (effectively on demand)

WHAT A NIGHT OF FRUSTRATION WITH RSVIEW AND PV-PLUS. That vented it is working and quite nicely. Had to change all my tags from B3:10/10 to B3:10.10. ALso ahd to change I:6/1 to I1:6/1 and O:71/1 to O0:71/1. Addressing has been a pain. Download instrucitons where less than optimal also. Fumbled until I found how to set IP Address. All is working now. Anyone know how to have the unit come out of screen saver on an event?

Screen saver cannot by controlled by event basic. Turn it off in Pv+. Edited by rpraveenkum

I'll try this above tip. Good thread here as I am also experiencing some similar "pains" with my first PV+ application to a ML1100. I am not to versed on batch files mentioned here, I'll give this a go, copy and paste the above to notepad, save as .bat and then run thru the .cmd (DOS) window, right? My laptop had to have the OS changed from XP Home Edition to XP Pro for RSView to install. It seems RSView is causing it to lock up occasionally. Anyone else have this issue? What tripped me up early on was coordinating RSLinx Enterprise and Classic. I followed the side-by-side off the Knowledge Base to clear it up. Next, was the Local and Targe tabs, a firm understanding here is necessary! Also, shortcuts; if you change the name then tags won't know where to link. I've become a pretty frequent user of the 'application manager', 'create runtime' and transfer utility' commands. What I looked for early on and would like to see is how report printing for an application.