Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CMAAS

Wireless programing

3 posts in this topic

I have done some research on this subject but havn't quite seen the situation I am wondering about. Typical situation: Controls cabinet... Control Logix contoller - Ethernet to switch Panelview PLus - Ethernet to switch Plant.... Wired network Wireless access point Questions is, can I install a wireless bridge in/on the controls cabinet and then access the PLC/PV from the plant wireless network? Everything I have read say that sure...connect the PLC to the bridge and your set. But what about into a switch in the cabinet to both PLC and PV. I work for a OEM so the issue of a wireles device inside of a cabinet is not an issue since it is usually open anyways or there is an external port. The reason for wanting to do this is for ease on connection and ability to connect to the "cabinet" and plant network resouces att eh same time. Yes, I can bridge the wirless and wired connections on the laptops but that does'nt always work well for the other guys. I just want something that is easy and no effort once set up for everyone.

I do this now. All the PLCs I have are on ethernet. The PLC network is on it's own network and switch. Not tied to the IT computer system. The internal network card has the IP address for the IT department, and the internal wireless card has the IP address of the PLC network. I dunno how your network is configured. However, there is a Linksys wireless router inside the control cabinet and the doors are closed. Remarkably it works pretty well for about 40-50 radius. I've installed a Dlink "repeater" that plugs into a wall outlet in the office, and two more out on the factory floor to cover the entire machine/conveyor system so I can walk around freely "wirelessly" and connect to any PLC. It's quite awesome. To monitor your PLC program and make a few changes seem ok for me, signal is good and so far nothing bad has happened. I guess I won't not recommend "flashing" a control logix or nothing like that wirelessly, but if you need to go online and debug or maybe add a few bits, wireless is the way to go.

Although this forum is from 2007, I ran across it and thought it would beneficial to expand on Chris’ point. Although Dlink works great, it is more of a residential wireless Ethernet device. It would be much more reliable to use an industrial rated radio like WLAN for such an application. There are several WLAN radios made for varying speeds and distances. In this particular situation, one radio should be configured as a client (“slave”) in the control cabinet and should be connected to a switch. An additional radio should be connected back to the main network and configured as an access point. In this configuration you can access your panels via a computer hardwired into your network or a laptop connected wirelessly to the access point. With this setup a user can download programs and get updates wirelessly to and from the PLC. Phoenix Contact offers several industrial WLAN products: http://www.phoenixcontact.com/global/technologies/18699_18716.htm