Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rswolff

CPU318

8 posts in this topic

Setting up a data acquisition system and need to connect to a CPU318 using an Ethernet network. Are there any modules similar to AB ENI? Or is there another method. Can only use X1 as X2 is used for I/O any help greatly appreciated thanks, bob

Hi rswolff. The below vendors have ethernet-to-MPI/DP adapters. www.deltalogic.de http://www.ibhsoftec-sps.de/ http://www.mhj-software.de/ You should also consider how to connect your data acquisition to via these adapters. THe easiest is to use the OPC servers from the same suppliers. You can also investigate if you can fit a CP343-1 LEAN in the rack somewhere.

I purchased a CP343-1 LEAN. It doesn't appear to be able to be mounted. The CPU 318-1 is a brick w/o expansion as far as I can determine. I don't have a lot of background with SIEMENS. I can program both the S5 and S7 but don't have much experience with the hardware itself. I figured I ask here before I spoke with my distributor who also doesn't know much about the SIEMENS plc's (my past experience has lead me to believe no one in the US actually does) thanks, bob and oh yes.....the reason I don't recommend or use SIEMENS is simple....bad documentation and everything is in German. I have nothing against German per se, however I don't speak it. So using their h/w or s/w becomes a lesson in futility. Every site listed in the response is German only.....as far as I know, my distributor in Pa. doesn't speak German either.... bob

If your having issues with specific hardware selection, call siemens US tech support. They are excellent in getting back to you. Although the have a paid service, they still answer all calls usually get back to you in 2-3 hours. They also have a good website with a technical forum and literature downloads. Phone number is 800-333-7421. Website link is: www2.sea.siemens.com/Products/Automation/Automation.htm

All of Siemens doc and websites can be switched to english. The problem is more to find the exact document than that it is not in english. I find the documentation not bad - but very thorough, which in turn means that it takes some effort to find what you are looking for. About the 3rd party suppliers, at least IBH can be switched to english (you could find it by clicking the ltlle english flag): http://www.ibhsoftec-sps.de/english/first.htm edit: Deltalogics US partner can be found here: http://www.classicautomation.com/ edit again: Why do I bother posting this ? Clearly the OP was wrongly formulated. You dont need something similar to an AB ENI. You need to figure out how to use a CP343-1. I have a feeling that you are the wrong guy to mess with a Siemens PLC. Edited by JesperMP

It really does your head in these guys who complain because a Siemens is NOT an allen bradley. The Siemens PLC is not an AB, it just takes a little time to read how it works, it is a different manufacturer after all. Anybody who works 99% of the time with one type of equipment has to stop and think about it when they try another. A Siemens engineer without much AB experience could also complain bitterly about AB, its not the problem of AB or Siemens, its the persons experience that is lacking. I've never, repeat NEVER had problems getting English documentation, nor help in English. I speak only English. EDIT: I have also found most of the documentation superb when it comes to descriptions. The only complaint sometimes is finding the right doc. Edited by Groo

ok, ok...i take it back....the documentation is not bad.....the truth is, often its very informative....down to the specifications on the chipset in the drive...not that it really matters unless i'm attempting to determine if they designed the power section correctly. The real problem is that the Germans really do not expect that you need to LEARN from the manuals (really really) If you speak to the Germans they are often truly perplexed that you would buy something and expect to operate it from the manual. They expect that you have gone to formalized training by the manufacturer first, then use the manual. They don't expect that you should be using anything w/o first making a detailed, engineering study of the device. Most of the SIEMENS stuff would be quite good, if you could actually use it w/o wishing the world would end first to put you out of your misery. I've used the S5, S7, lots of their drives, servos, and a strange motion card (IP252-MC) that was so bad, that after we bought 8 of the puppies, we were told they were obsolete. There were 9 in the US....I had 8 of them....and no one at SIEMENS USA knew a blasted thing about them. This is the same problem with most of the German stuff, including INDRAMAT, ELAU, MODICON and nearly everything else. Lots of documentation, just not easy to find what that fault is. Its there somewhere, but not in any section labeled faults, or startup, or errors, or diagnostics, or maintenance or...?? (for the INDRAMAT it was in the Parameter description) I thank you guys very much though....I'll take a look and see if the CP343-1 can actually connect to the rightside (my distributor hasn't gotten back to me yet). bob

This is the same problem with most of the German stuff, including INDRAMAT, ELAU, MODICON