Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
justwhy2003

Small siemens PLC

7 posts in this topic

Hi Can anyone reccommend a small Siemens PLC as their website is difficult to navigate around when you dont know specificially what your looking for. The PLC is for controlling a water pumping station with changable switching levels for the pump. I need at least an analogue input and 4 digital outputs and a built in HMI would be desirable. Do Siemens supply interface cables and/or programming software with their PLCs or do these have to be purchased seperately? Any help appreciated Justwhy2003

Hello Justwhy2003. Any requirements for communications ? It sounds like an S7-200 might do the job. If there is ane risk that sometime you need to make a significantly bigger project, then going for the S7-300 range is the better choise. Notice that S7-200 and S7-300 are so different from each other that you cant just migrate easily between the two. So your decision now should be with a view to the future. The job sounds so small that even a Logo could do the job. Again, dont chose this one if you need to prepare for bigger projects in the future. If you by any chance have a VFD to control the pump(s) then you should investigate if the VFD can handle all the required control by itself. Many VFDs has such extended functionality. This because a pumping station is a very common application. For S7-200 and S7-300 you need to purchase software and cable. For Logo I think you it for free. Siemens has a combined PLC+HMI range called C7. But I warn you against it. Good luck.

Thanks What is the most up to date software for the s7-200. I only have an older version of the RS catalogue and it has the software in floppy format!

Go to https://mall.automation.siemens.com/DE/gues...m=0?=en Then browse to: Automation systems .. Simatic industrial automation systems .. Programmable controllers .. Simatic S7 .. S7-200 There you can find everything relevant about S7-200, incl latest software versions. Edit: the software is called STEP7-Micro/Win and the most current version is v4.0+SP3. Edited by JesperMP

It does sound like a good fit for a S7-200. Siemens has a small HMI text type display the OP73. You would need to buy the software. They were selling the display, cable and software for a bundled reduced price. Check with your Siemens distributor. The OP3 will allow data entry, text display and multiple menus as well as language switching.

SP5 service pack 5 is out now.... And Siemens also does this thing they call 'Micro Automation Sets' which are targeted to specific applications and include things like HMIs, sensors, drives, etc. And sample code can be downloaded. www.siemens.com/s7-200

Hi! Why don't you try with a VIPA System 100 PLC? Look at it here! I copy its features: "The VIPA system 100V is a Micro-PLC system programmable with Step®7 from Siemens or WinPLC7 – a programming tool from VIPA. With a compact design, system 100V provides a maximum expansion of up to 160 I/O points by plugging in expansion modules. These Micro-PLCs are especially suitable for use in smaller and cost-conscious applications." Really you are writting your program as a S7-315 CPU under STEP-7. Your application looks much more serious, faster and expandable than with a S7-200 PLC. And price is over the same level... What else do you need?