Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sd00

GX-Developer improvement requests

98 posts in this topic

i dont know if it has been mentioned but it would be nice to be able to page your program as in Ab Omron Siemens etc

What do you mean by be able to page your program?

The "Project.inf"and "ProjectDB.mdb" files in project folder makes it impossible for us to send or receive gx developer project from our customers which use mail security software. These files (because of their extensions and type) are treated as malicious. Wrapping whole project in a zip file won't be a solution because, security software knows zip format.

Password protecting the Zipfile might work.

Password protecting for hiding file names worked for a while, but it doesn't work anymore. Password protected attachments are not allowed anymore, and we can not interfere with the security system. Mdb and inf files are considered as executable files. Which is very unnecessary i think, but it is a fact.

IQ works makes .CAB files now. Will they pasthrough your emailfilter?

Ever think of renaming the .ZIP file to .TXT? Works for the tech support guys in the US, and they have a really tight email security system. And I have not seen a CAB file from iQ Works. GX Works still saves as XML and subdirectories of files. Not seeing CAB files anywhere. Still, CAB is considered a Windows installation file, and so I doubt it would get any farther than a ZIP.

Make a back-up from your Melsoft navigator it will be .cab format

Yes i tried a lot of things, security software analyzes the attachment and understands that it is a "ZIP" file and examines files inside archive, no matter of the extension :) Zipping, renaming and zipping with password worked for a while but not anymore, security software is smarter now. I heard of worms with password protected archives so it is understandable that they blocked attachments with passwords. I agree about CAB files.

We have the same problem here with out email server that's why we now use an FTP server to send files

I'm sure this has been mentioned before but they really need to do something with the "help" files. Especially when trying new things or starting on a new style PLC this is invaluable. I just started working with Opto 22 and Citect and they have awesome help files that are easy to navigate and you can find what your looking for fast without having to surf the internet for an hour or read through 30 manuals on GX Developer. It should spell out each function for ladder logic, how to use it in structured text, what each parameter setting does and how to use it and what every option is for the special function cards. It's a lot of work for them yes, but it's amazing how much it speeds up development time. I can't tell you how much time I've wasted looking for answers for stupid little stuff that should be just a help file search away.

if i'm not mistaken, most mail filter only check extensions so renaming file from MY.ZIP to MY.PIZ does the trick. some mail filters try to recognize content by reading the header (open any file in hex editor or even notepad and you will see that GIF, EXE, JPG, ZIP etc have few characters that tell what the file really is), then once they know the file format, they may dig deeper to search for embedded files etc. it should be enough to swap the ID code or insert few bytes before it and mail filter will not recognize it anymore, it will only know that it is some binary data. the next layer is the virus scanner which searches files for any string of code that matches the virus definition.

Haven't had a chance to work with MELSOFT Navigator yet. Try RAR archives yet?

Hi, Does anyone have any more news as to a release date of "GX-Developer 2"? There was talk of a release date around last June, but things seem to have gone a bit quiet. Matt.

In the states it's supposed to become available in April.

I've heard from our mitsubishi vendor that GX Works 2 is being released soon. I saw a screenshot and it looks an aweful lot like GX developer, not the converged release of IEC developer. Maybe they offer you a choice of ladder editor, who knows. Any info on this would be appreciated. I don't quite understand the name change of the software and wonder if its a strange US only version or what. Any ideas?

I'm confused by your comments. GX Works2 is quite similar to the IEC and standard GX Developer packages it combines, but with a much wore friendly interface. As for the name change, GX Simulator2 and GX Configurator2 are included in the default install. The GT software suite is called GT Works2, which includes the simulator and other tools. It just makes sense that this suite of tools also follow the Works naming convention. It's one piece of the forthcoming iQ Works suite which will include GX Works2, MT Developer2, GT Works2, and the MELSOFT Navigator.

Is see there is some confusement on the new GX2 version. The first version is already released. The new version which also includes the FX will be released soon. I already have a beta version. There are two ways to program, in simple and structured mode. The simple mode is like GX Developer. The structured mode is more like IEC developer but the gx developer programming way is also possible in this mode. The start-up of the simulator is very Fast. Also the special function utillity is very easy to use. You will not need any manuals the configure your intelligent modules. Mmost important there now is a very good version control inside GX2 The GX navigator can be used to make a good overview of all your projects awell as connecting the variable databases for PLC motion and HMI. Also total backups can be made of the complete system(workspaces). There is a lot more i'll upload the let's start IQ works to give you some idea of the new software. bcnp5717a.pdf Edited by Gambit

Actually the software isn't released in the US yet in any version. I've had the opportunity to play with a beta copy, and I really like the improvements. But my understanding is the US launch of version 1.08 (which includes FX) is only a few weeks away.

Is there any new news on the US release of GX2 or GX Works 2? Also, does anyone know what the baseline price of new full version of this would cost approx.? Edited by Jetboy47

Its supposed to have been released in the US. I have not gotten it quoted yet.

Launched end of April. And list price is cheaper than GX Developer.Plus it includes GX Simulator and GX Configurator which used to cost extra.

Gx Works can't be installed to Windows 2003 Server Service Pack 2. Setup quits with an error.

True. The manual clearly states Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Vista. No mention of 2003.