Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
streaker69

Modicon NOE 771 01 Issues

4 posts in this topic

We've just installed a few NOE 771 01 Ethernet modules around our plant. Problem is, they came with some very old and very buggy firmware installed. We attempted to upgrade the firmware via Concept, but ended up trashing the unit and had to install our spare until it gets repaired. After reading through the manual, I see that the firmware can be updated via FTP, but I haven't been able to authenticate to it. I found that you can create a username/password for the ftp server, which I did, but still cannot authenticate. I noticed that it has telnet open and if I telnet to it, then I get a vxworks prompt, but don't know the user/pass for that either. Can anyone provide any guidance on how to go about upgrading the firmware for these units? Thanks.

Used to be when you donwloaded an updated firmware from the www.modicon.com website, it came with detailed instructions on how to update the firmware. Sometimes it was 2 updates that needed to be applied in order. I never had one fail during the firmware load, and haven't done it in years, but I don't see why it wouldn't let you try again.

I had the Firmware emailed to me from our System integrator, who then tried to apply it to the unit. The unit still functioned for the most part, but the webinterface was gone. Unit wouldn't respond on port 80 at all. We contacted tech support regarding it and to quote them "Sounds like something bad happened". That unit has been returned for repair and our spare is currently in place. I'm hoping that the new firmware will solve several problem I've found with these units, and according to an engineer at Modicon, it should, if we could get it applied without killing the units. I may work with our distributor that we send each unit back to get the correct firmware applied swapping our spare out until we get them all completed.

You should be able to download the firmware and directions from www.telemecanique.com and perform the upgrade yourself. Keep in mind there are many different NOE modules, and the 77100 and 77101 were not the webserver modules, they were the 77110 and 77111. They did have some web capabilities, but not to the extent of the bigger ones. The 100 and 101 were primarily I/O scanners for Momentum I/O on Ethernet and programming connections. The others were the FactoryCast web server modules. Make sure you're loading the right firmware in the right unit.