Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobLfoot

1785 ENET Sidecar and BootP

5 posts in this topic

I have a 1785-ENET sidecar that someone accidentally checked into BootP. This was not discovered until the middle of our production week so changing to non-BootP and entering an IP address which requires switching to program mode is not possible until Saturday. The unit has gone "silent" since no bootP server answered it. Is there a way to force another round of BootP requests without cycling power as this is not possible until the weekend either.

You may be able to use the "Force Renew command" from you AB BootP utility to force the 1785-ENET without cycling power.

I've often had trouble with that function because some (most ?) firewalls block that low-level function, and you get a "socket connection failed" error from the BOOTP utility. I haven't figured out how to disable enough firewall stuff on my Windows XP machine to do it, but if you have an older or simpler laptop handy you might be able to try.

PLC5 should continue to send BOOTP if it has no IP address, I don't remember exactly, but I think interval between requests will increase, but it still should send it.Like Ken pointed it may be not PLC5 that is not sending BOOTP, it may be PC that block port 68 requests. This is very common. So far I know that VPN software, antivirus, firewall and virtual machines will block it.

Update on situation; From Demo Unit in my office I Learned that each time the Cat5 cable is plugged in the Sidecar sends a bootp request if it's IP is 0.0.0.0 . Don't know if it eventually goes silent or just to a longer interval though. I also learned that disconnecting the cat5 should drop out the STAT led on the front. With my field unit. The Stat light is lit all the time. Cat5 connection or not. Also it does not send a BootP when Cat5 connection is plugged in. {like demo unit} thought maybe transceiver was bad, this is an older series B unit with the 15 pin front and an AUI. Changed AUIs and no improvement. I am thinking the sidecar has failed. Will find for sur this weekend.