Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dank06

CJ1M to EV-350P serial comms

6 posts in this topic

Hi, I have a CJ1M-CPU13 with the following configuration: CPU (with peripheral & RS-232C) | ID211 | ID211 | OC211 | OC211 | OC211 | OC211 | SCU21-V1 (2 rs232C ports) I need to either TXDU instructions to a digital message repeater The digital message repeater is manufactured by TOA Electronics and is model EV-350P (manual --> ev350p_mt1e.pdf) The manual contains little or no information on serial communications protocol, but I did manage to get some unclear instructions from the TOA support techs. (see EV350_protocol.zip) Does anyone have any suggestions on the PLC setup for this? I need to use SCU21 port 2 but that's the only necessity. All other setup such as the start code, end code, start code specifier, end code specifier, etc., is a little confusing, especially because the EV-350P unit manual and support docs are confusing. Any help or suggestion is greatly appreciated. dan

Fisrtly... I beleive that there must be another manual that details the RS232 settings... Secondly... if you are considering trying to control the play back functions with the RS232 then i would strongly suggest to simply look at the binary control of the unit... extremely simple to configure a PLC program to turn on outputs to trigger a certain message this way...

I believe there must be another manual as well, and I've been in contact with TOA, however they don't seem to have another. I'll keep looking in to it I realize the binary control is much simpler, but to save on wires, harness pins and PLC outputs, i was investigating the RS-232. It looks though that I'll take this route. Thanks :)

Just a quick thought then... How far away from the PLC would the announcer be ???? You could look at the SRM (compo bus S) or the DeviceNet IO options... just a thought... Dumb dumb me,... what about the B7A terminals as well...

For our next project, DeviceNet will be the way to go (I would've liked to have this from the start of this project, however I joined it late in the game) The announcer is approximately 63 ft away from the PLC Since the project is in its final stages, I doubt my boss will want to make major mods as would be required with DeviceNet or the B7A terminals. Ah so many picky things sometimes lol. For the next project, I'll have a lot more say in design and implementation, so I should not run into as many silly control issues as I have with this one. Thanks for your help :) P.S. I called TOA and they told me that they do not have another manual because they do not use the RS-232 function. The "manual" they gave me is it. LOL

For your next one have a look at CompoNet if you only have digital and analogue I/O - much cheaper - faster and is a token ring - no crashes. Device Net is fine but unless I have to use explicit messaging or other manufacturers products I am using CompoNet and SCU or SCB units. If I need a serial interface I am using an SCU or SCB with CX-Protocol.