Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
David Larsson

Suitable PLC for in car mounting?

14 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! I have a project for my company that I´m doing most for my own interest and it includes my car. My idea is to switch the 80´s looking middlepanel with a panel-pc and with that also remove everything from that panel. To get room with the pc I need to remove the climate-controlsystem. Instead I want to control that system with a plc connected to the pc. What plc should I use that can communicate with the pc and control ordinary valves + would be fun with some analog inputs and stuff so that I can collect more info about whats happening with the car. The panel-pc will work as a GPS,Stereo,climate-control and whatever else I can come up with. The PLC needs to be small and I need it to somehow run on 12V. So what do u guys think? /David Edited by David Larsson

Hello David, Sounds like a fun project! The CJ Series would be ideal - compact, flexible and powerful. The only problem is that the minimum power supply rating is 24vdc. I think that you may have trouble finding any industrial PC / PLC that will run on 12vdc. Also (of course), there is the output of the vehicals charging system to consider - it usually doesn't cater for a whole lot more than the electrical equipment that is already fitted. It may be easier to either fit a 'split' charging system to the car, or convert the electrical system in the car to 24v throughout (as per commercial vehicles) . Sorry to have to pour that drop of rain on your parade! Good luck.

I'm probably flame-bait for suggesting an A-B PLC in the Omron forum, but the Micrologix 1100 will operate at 12-24 VDC: http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/12762/2...75323/tab2.html

Great idea. I don't know for Omron , but Telemecanique have smol Zelio PLC thet run on 12VDC, have ocion for GSM modem,nalog inputs,calendar etc.Wisith their web for details.

A-B's offering in the extreme-low-end of PLCs, the Pico controller, will run on 12VDC as well. I'm sure Omron has a Pico-sized controller with similar specs (everyone does these days), so that might be the way to go if you want to stick with Omron.

It is quite easy to obtain a 12/24VDC switch mode with a 1 amp output. I get them from my local electronics hobby store. Being a switchmode the output is stable also. The brand I have hear at the moment is Kemo and it is made in Germany.

I am pretty sure there is a ZEN that could run on 12 VDC...

For your application I would hihly recommend Horner Electric OCS units. These will operate on 12VDC and integrate the PLC and HMI in a very compact unit. Here is one unit you may consider http://www.heapg.com/literature/CutSheets/...chure_final.pdf They have a wide range of similar products. And NO, I do not work for them.

Ah nice with so many replies :) Yes I´m aware of the problem with the electrical system... but I think a converter as someone suggested would work. The ideal would be a circuit that could convert a 12-14V to stabil 24V. I have already found a ready built panelcomputer with 12.1" tochscreen that runs on 12V :) I thought that omron should have atleast one plc that runs on 12V or something but like some people say here I might have to look at other brands. I will work for trying to use omron thou cause I have constructed a FINS communication class for java to another project that I really want to use for this (to save some programming hours). So has anyone used a omron plc with converter 12->24V succesfully? And how much current does CJ1 series and such really use when just switched on and not used? (no outputs enabled)

I use the CJ1 and CS1 all the time with 24/24 VDC switchmodes on generator systems. I use switchmodes because the systems run on batteries and battery chargers which quite often go outside the limits of the power supply for the PLC. They work fine and the switchmode is good down to 18/19 volts with 24 out all the time. Cannot see why a step up switchmode would not be OK.

Thanx for the reply. Then this actually should work :) I think that the ideal for this application should be a CJ1M-CPU11-ETN. But even for its small size it gets kind of large for being in a car but I think I need that ethernet card. The idea is to get a small network in the car with the computer and plc and possibly a portabel-computer for a trip or something. And today here in sweden its getting really cheap to have portabel-broadband so I´ll put that in as well :D With that and a gps it should be easy to track the car if something happends and I could really do some fun webapplications to for it. The idea is to make it a project to show some of what I can do in my company (and more cause its fun´:) ) and maybe if it gets costefficient I know of some owners of the same car I have (porsche 928 s4) that are interested in this kind of system. I also just realized that why not use webcams as parkingaid :) The car has a so long hood that its impossible to se where it is so I really need it or I´ll bump into something (again) And with that PLC i get the option for temperature and analog inputs etc so that I can collect informaition about the car. This could really be a fun project :)

Hello Sleepy, Indeed. Both 10C and 20C can run on 12 - 24 vdc. (I forgot about the Zens )

Hello David, May I suggest Omron's CPM2B series of PLC's which have 12VDC supply models. If you do decide to go with a CJ/CP1 series of PLC and want to standerdize on Omron product may I suggest their S82S series of power supply's which have a 12VDC to 24VDC model. Just a suggestion. David, Prior to the introduction of the "-V2" series of Zens (DC models were only available in 24VDC) I had an application where we used a S82S to a DC powered Zen. It worked great!!

Ah thanks! I didnt think about their powersupplies actually. I´ll look into it. /David