Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
axbalin

r-j3 fanuc controller

5 posts in this topic

Hello! Please some one advice, I have access to a Fanuc robot 120i and controller rj3, the idea is to modify this arc mate robot in to a painting robot, the paint I will be using is water based so it would be safe. I am not really familiar with Fanuc robots I have been more involved with plc, the question is does the controller comes with a I/O section or is this sold separately, if so, what voltage is the outputs so I know what kind of solenoid I would need. · Have any of you guys done anything like this, if so, please advice what kind of issues I will be facing. Take care and I cant wait to read your replies. Axbalino

There are too many options available on these robots to tell exactly what you have. Your only reliable source is to take the Model number and Serial Number to Fanuc or the original purchaser and ask them.

I've been working with this type of robot and controllers, and usually they come (here in Europe) with 8 inputs and outputs in the arm, and then 16 input and output inside the controller. You can change the arm outputs and inputs from NPN to PNP or viceversa via a switch, but the inputs and outputs inside the controller are just PNP or NPN. But there are too many options as RussB said, so you'd better ask the supplier.

Get manuals for the controller you are using (or at least the eDoc CD), and signup for web support on Fanuc website (they seam to take 2-3 weeks to process this). I was using RJ2 and RJ3iB controller on couple Fanuc robots. They usually have few I/O at the robot (so called EE connector or "end effector connector"). Those are 24V I/O and inputs can be changed to be PNP or NPN using dip switch located on the big PCB inside the cabinet. As far as I know all other I/O are optional and sold separately. They come in A and B version. A version I/O are on PLC cards that go into rack (usually mounts inside robot controller cabinet). B version is fieldbus type I/O which brings convenience of reduced wiring when I/Os are scattered. Some manuals are right here: http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?dlcategory=41

This October will make 9 years that my little arc mate Jr has been painting. (Powder Coated Cabinets) It is RJ controlled. I believe it has 2 input cards and 1 output card. The voltage is 120 Vac. I'm not too sure about using a "water based" or liquid based paint as these arc mates joints are not shielded like a "TRUE" painting robot. My company didn't have too many $$ in this used arc mate so we figured we would just try it and see how long it lasts. Needless to say its been very, very dependable. The only parts we have replaced (and mind you this was already used) was about 3 or 4 sets of cables (Pulse coder positioning, and Servo cables) and this is simply because our robot follows a cabinet down a track, he is not just bolted to the floor where the cables would just lie still. Also replaced 2 Servo amplifiers and a Glass Encoder. That's not bad for an old robot. I'm not too familiar with RJ3 Controls, the newest Fanuc we have is RJ2 Controlled. I think the RJ3 is more "windows based". As far as issues are concerned; I've used some Allen Bradley PLC's with a few robots at our plant. I just send inputs and outputs back and forth from the robot controller to the PLC and vise versa. Let me know if you need some specifics? P.S. Here is a little keycad pic of our painting setup.