Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kah Chun

PanelView 1400e Upgrade Option

18 posts in this topic

Can anyone here suggest possible upgrade option for PanelView 1400e as they are now obsolete? My current 1400e is running on DH+ so I'm also interested to see if the migration to PanelView Plus will be easy ie do I have to create new application or new comm settings? Is there any option other than PanelView Plus? Cheers

PVPlus can be used to replace 1400e, but for some reason we went the Wonderware / PC HMI direction rather than the PVPlus.

Yeah but I'm wondering if there is a particular model that will allow the upgrade to be more seamless ie without having to re-create the whole screen application again or to set up the communication link.

A 1400e app will drop right into a 1000e. You don't even have to tell it that you made the change, it'll use it as-is. A-B even makes an adapter plate to make the 1000e fit the 1400e cutout. Of course, a good metalworker could that part of it themselves too. I would bet on the 1000e being available for a good long while. As long as the Big 3 stay in business anyway. They love their PLC-5s and enhanced panelviews.

A-B offers an internal flatscreen replacement for the CRTs of PV1400e terminals as they grow dim or fail. That's a zero-effort retention of the existing system. DH+ applications are much easier to translate to RSView ME than RIO applications, in my experience. If you're not comfortable buying and learning the new software, hire out the job to Rockwell or an integrator who knows both platforms.

True but the 1400E is larger diagonally on screen from 1000e if I remember correctly. Might have to move some objects around to make it all fit on busy screens.

i think they're both VGA 640x480x16

No worries. Thanks to everyone who responded. Found my answer from RA website: Adapter plates and migration kits are available for migrating an existing PanelView 1400e CRT application to the PanelView 1000e flat panel terminal. Application files are easily converted with minimal changes if any. The Step Forward program offers discounts for returned terminals. It sounds as if the migration to 1000e will be seamless (as long I have the PB 1400e software) and that 1000e will be here to stay for awhile.

Currently Upgrading 3 different Panelview 1200 to Panelview Plus Imported Panelview Dos file *.cfg to Panelview 1400e software *.pvc Imported *.pvc to RSView *.apa and *.mer All using RIO small amount of rework straightening lines and Multistate Addressing

you've got to be kidding me... i have never heard of this. (and we've been doing a lot of 1400e to 1000e swapouts, too) Are you sure you aren't mistaken about this? replacing a CRT and all its deflection circuitry with an LCD panel is a pretty serious undertaking. And I'm sure a fair percentage of controls guys wouldn't know how to safeguard themselves from getting a REALLY NASTY shock from the anode cap of the CRT. If I were in a plant that had CRT-based HMIs, I'd get a rebuild schedule in place for them. 1400e's just aren't old enough to need to be scrapped. My experience with 30+ year old video game monitors bears this out. Replace the electrolytic caps, horizontal output transistor, and flyback transformer and you've bought yourself several more years of productive use. The CRT itself is usually one of the last things to fail. the only thing you can't correct this way is burn-in.. that's permanent!

This is from the step forward program for PV 1400e Versions http://www.ab.com/stepforward/oiupgrade.html

I spoke with Uk Rockwell tech support today, they told me there is no such animal and as far as they are concerned the 1400e is obsolete and i should replace with Panelview Plus !!! I did mention to the chap i thought he was COMPLETELY WRONG and sent him an email link to this http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/i...p;id=468a0e5d17 So he could go off and get me a price and availability and come back with his tail between his legs! Still waiting for there reply................ Edited by 504bloke

RA in the UK Priced me at £2700 GBP for a Series A upgrade to LCD here in the UK...

Finished upgrading from Panelview 1200 CRT to Panelview Plus. All went very well. Still using RIO communications. Thanks rpraveenkum, I didn't know about the Step Forward Program even thou I had contacted my AB rep he didn't mention it. Cheers

The LCD upgrade for PV1400e is real. We have quite a few of them(PV1400e) on our machines and I have upgraded two customers already. I can get you the info on this if you need it.

What info have you got ? All i can find is a pdf 2 sheet flyer on it from AB, the UK seem clueless about the upgrade, took them over a week to get me a price !

My parts guy is getting me the info he has on this. I should have it tomorrow and I will post it.

OK here is the information that my parts guy sent me. It is a power point presentation. Ignore the prices because they are probably not right. Not sure if it's the same info that you have but this list the part number for the upgrade. Hope this helps. DoubleL Presentation3.ppt