Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CJH

Siemens Panel PLC?

3 posts in this topic

Hi everyone A colleague told me he'd seen a Siemens 'Panel PLC', ie an operator interface with I/O wired in directly, but I can't find any more info on this thing. Can anyone confirm or deny these rumours please? Thanks Chris

Hi Yes it does exist apparently I recently tried to use one on a project but unfortunealty delivery times in the UK were against it plus it only has a monochrome screen where we need colour, what you are looking for is the Simatic C7 control system http://www.automation.siemens.com/simatic/...produkte_c7.htm

Yes the C7 range it is. But I really advice against it. First, a C7 is just a a 314 or a 315. Consider that a real 314 or 315 type has a long lifespan and you can easily get a similar 314 or 315 CPU 10 years from now. A HMI becomes obsolete 4-6 years after market entry. So by combining HMI and PLC you have actually removed one of the most important advantages with PLCs. Second, you have to wire everything to the panel door or whereever the C7 panel is mounted. Thirdly, the number of i/o that can be connected is very limited. Some C7 models can add a few S7-300 modules to the rear of the panel. But this is an extremely cumbersome arrangement. In all my time I have seen only one or two C7 panels, but literally hundreds of S7-300's.