Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
semilogical

Current GE Ladder Programming Software

12 posts in this topic

What is the current release of the software that you use to program GE 90-30 PLC's? I have very old Logicmaster disks and a Cimplicity package, but they are old and I do not have the license for it. I have a project coming up and haven't a clue as to which way to go. I've heard of Proficy, is that current? Good? I'm totally lost at this point. My last connection with programming a GE was 1995. Edited by semilogical

Proficy Machine Edition is the current programing package. The current rev. level is 5.6. There are three different versions depending on the PLC model you need to program. There is one version that only programs the VersaMax Micro and Nano models. THe next version (standard) adds the VersaMax modular and 90-30 lines. Note that standard does not cover the Rx3i series. The top level version (professional) covers all models (90-70, Rx3i, Rx7i).

Just food for thought by my local GE Plant requires vendors to use LM 90-30 for programming their GE 90-30 PLC's. Proficy and the windows software is no allowed, too many bugs according o them.

The few bugs left in Proficy ME are very minor, have solid work arounds and do not affect its solid performance. Yes there is always the possibility, of another 'bug' popping up, but this is true in any software. Except LM90 because it has not changed in 10 years. If the plant that you are talking about does not get up to date soon, it is my prediction that their competitors who do stay current with technology will eventually force them to close the doors. In this competitive world, the only way for us (U.S.A.) to stay ahead of the low labor costs and little to no environmental regulations is to automate using the best products and technology available. The troubleshooting ability of Proficy ME over that of LM90 alone is worth the change. It well make all troubleshooting faster. Edited by RussB

Bob, I wonder how long it's been since that GE plant reevaluated the decision to stick with Logicmaster. Proficy Machine Edition has been around for several years now, and it seems pretty stable. Does this plant also forbid the use of PAC Systems hardware? You need Machine Edition for them. I wonder if the original decision was made on the basis of VersaPro (or even Control). It might even be based on personalities. Some GE Vice President may have gotten his shorts in a bunch because he thought that Charlottesville wasn't paying him and his division the deference he felt they deserved. One good thing about Logicmaster though, you don't need to pay for an annual service contract to stay current.

I do recall bugs in Verso Pro being the major reason for sticking with LM9030.

Let me go off on a complete tangent here, considering the above comment. How long do you think that "technology" is going to buffer us from emerging economies? Isn't it inevitable that even developing countries are going to "automate using the best products and technology available" before too long? Hasn't this trend already begun? Do you believe that somehow we'll always be able to keep a technological "leg up" on the third world?

This is also true of DOS 3.11, maybe they would like to stay there too.

Why stop there CPM was an awesome OS when it was in use.

Yes, but will CPM run LM90?

No, but why should we let them get ahead of us by refusing to upgrade? It is cheaper to "keep up" than to "catch up". Edited by RussB

Proficy ME and Versapro are interchangable. The "lock" they had on using different programming software doesn't apply to these two. Proficy PLC programming is basically Versapro. The programs folder is even called fxVersaPro! Biggest problem I had with VP was consistent hardware configuration loading and saving. Proficy doesn't have that limitation, even with older PLC firmware versions.