Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ecca

NT2S help !

22 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, can you help me please ...... I've inherited a Omron CPM1A PLC set up.... no problems there but...... There's a NT2S non-programmable display unit with it. I can't seem to find any information about what to do with it any where other than everythings in the PLC memory. Where do I start ? How do I get text to the display ? Where can I find within the program what text is in the display ? Do the function keys have fixed memory locations within the PLC ? Etc etc...... I'm using CX-Programmer. Help !!!! Eric Thacker

Eric, Welcome to the forum. I found this quick start guide on the Omron Europe website. Quick Start Hope it will help.

Hello, I am not expert but you need either NT2-ST, or NTXS Software, these are both free from Omron Europe. But its not part of CX-Programmer or CX-One software. Hope this helped a Little.

Thanks a million, have I been scratching my head on this. It's somewhat involved do you think ? Cheers Eric Thacker

Basically there is no programming on the NT2S-SF123 unit. I am guessing that is the unit you have from your description. The SF123 simply reads preset memory locations from the plc. This is all documented in the previous link. Text displays are created in plc memory and them displayed by "pointing" to them via your plc program. The quick start seemed to be pretty straight forward. Review that document, then post your questions. Good Luck.

Thanks all, I'll study this and get working on Monday morning. Next question....... How can I connect the NT2S and my Laptop to the CPM1A at the same time ? It's one or the other at the moment. Cheers Eric Thacker

That would be the short coming of the CPM1A, only one communication port. You can only connect one device at a time. The CPM2A solves this problem, one peripheral port and one RS232 9 pin built in. Sorry, can't help you with that problem.

You use a C200H-CN229EU programming cable from you laptop to the NT2 to program it. Your CPM1 probably has the old style peripherial port plug. The cable you need is an adaptor and if I was in Red Stick I could give you the number, but 114 is in it. Then you use a straight thru from it to the NT2. If it is the newer style perpheril port, there is a specific cable from the cpu to the hmi. The software is free to download too.

Hello The cable adaptor (As above if you need one for newer style port) is a CS1W-CN114.

My understanding of the NT2S is that it is non-prgrammable, it's all within the PLC. Are you saying that this isn't so ?

Hi, Depends on model. If you download NTXS 1.03 from the OMRON website you will find it will install a manual also. In this manual the different NT2S (6 types) are explained. Also cable connections for each terminal is described. If you read this all of your problems should be solved. Regards, MPM

Like MPM said, it depends on the complete model number. It will be something like NT2S-SF12X-xxx. If you have an SF121 or SF122 it is programmable. The SF123 is not. Check the number and let us know.

Hi, from omron website: Specifications Model STN monochrome Programmable 6-key type, Frame color: Black NT2S-SF121B-EV2, NT2S-SF122B-EV2 PLC controlled NT2S-SF123B-EV2 For above versions you have EV1 extension and no extension as past models. Programmable 20-key type, Frame color: Black NT2S-SF125B-E, NT2S-SF126B-E PLC controlled NT2S-SF127B-E regards, MPM

Thanks for all your help, I won't know until tomorrow (Monday) what the number is. I've downloaded NTSX. The display is self powered, i.e. from the PLC , if it identifies it any the better. Cheers Eric Thacker

Not really. Both the SF122 and SF123 are powered by the plc (self powered). We really will need the full part number to go much further.

Part number is NT2S-SF123B-EV1

Take a look at the Quick Start link in Post #2 above. That document is for the SF123. It looks like a pretty good explanation of the unit. There is NO software for the SF123. All text is stored in the plc. Let us know if you have any questions when you get into your application.

OK, I'm getting to grips with it now, thanks to you all. Answer me one last question ( for the time being) ..... If data has been put in using the NT2S, i.e. counter values...... Should I download and then upoad the program with a modification or two....... will the data be lost or are the registers battery backed ? Thanks again. Eric Thacker.

All data put in the NT2S is directly written in the PLC user memory, the NT2S itsself has no internal user memory. NT2S can be reloaded with user program without consequenses for the PLC memory.

That can be a tricky question. It will depend on how the plc program was written. DM values can be entered directly into the memory locations, or data can be moved (MOV) into memory. The DM locations are battery backed. Simply downloading the program will not backup this area of memory. You will need to back that area up separately. What plc software are you using?

In the project workspace on the left side, double click Memory then click DM in the left frame of the page that comes up. You will need to be on line with the processor, and on line in this page (you should see the icon). The current DM values should appear in the table view. From the File pull down, choose Save. At this point you can choose to Save in Project or as a file. This will save all the current DM values. Hope this will help.