Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
I Believe I can Fly

ControlLogix Structural Text program, any

4 posts in this topic

Hi, I met with one of our customers who complained about Structural Text(ST) program on ControlLogix is much inconvenient than Quntum product in terms of on-site tuning. I think the problem they described should be: - when online, ST in Quntum PLC shows, for example, RED when bool variant equals 1 and shows GREEN when 0. It's quite easy for them to find the place where the program goes stopped or logic error occurs. However, ST on CLX shows nothing except you put your mouse on the variant which tells you the actural status or add view to monitor those variant. We all agree that's really inconvenient. They've got use to Quntum ST so much and made their program with almost entirely ST rather than any ladder logics. If that's the case, it would be really tough job for them to tuning the CLX ST. Can we do that also? Or any patch or 3rd party software? I think that won't be too hard for RSLogix5000 designers, but we just can do nothing to help that if the software itself cann't do it. Thanks.

Read this technote to know about Structured Text http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/cgi...amp;p_topview=1

http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/cgi...amp;p_topview=1

I suppose it's just a design choice. Rockwell uses syntactic coloring already in the ST editor, with blue instructions, dark red tags, and green comments. The pop-up ToolTips are used extensively, not just for value indication but also for prompts during instruction argument entry. These and the Watch Window provide a rich interface to tag values for the routine. What colors does the Quantum software display for non-boolean values ? What colors for instructions ? Since red and green are already being used in the display editor, how would you suggest visually indicating true or false conditions ? I figure that underlining or bolding would be the simplest methods. RA does take user input on design decisions, especially at this summer's RSTechED event. Make sure your local RA office knows about you and your customers desires for more visually-intuitive online diagnositcs of ST routines.